Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: auto trans swap in VW`Mk4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
I have posted this in two different places on VWVortex but have gotten ZERO response WTF.gif

Hoping someone here will have experience with these transmissions.

My son has an '02 GTI 5-speed that needs some major work restoration work. We have located a parts car that will work perfectly - '03 GTI in same color but with an automatic transmission.

I have an '04 New Beetle Convertible with 6-speed Tiptronic (09G) that ist kaput. VB and solenoids have been tried without success - still flares into 4th and never engages. I think it is a mechanical issue that would entail tearing down the unit... something I am not equipped to do.

My question: is the 09A (5-speed tiptronic) a direct drop-in for the 09G (6-speed tiptronic)? Is it as simple as swapping the units and TCM? I do have a VAG-COM so can clear codes, etc if needed.

Sure would be nice to get two non-op VWs back on the road. Will clear up the driveway for another 914 project rolleyes.gif

Any advice and input is much appreciated. driving.gif
Andyrew
No idea. I imagine you would have to switch out the TCM's and at the very least reprogram the trani code in VagCom for the engine. Maybe new guage cluster?

I think your better off getting the right trani and selling your old one.
Great resource
http://www.car-part.com/
Rand
I may be off topic, but I'd love to see a modern automatic in a 914. smile.gif Yeah I know, sports car blasphemy... just saying.
Andyrew
Ive been wondering about the feasivility of a PDK from a boxster in my setup... itll bolt up... but I really dont know if the control parameters will be able to be programed right..
okieflyr
See if you can get this question in front of Tom w/AP Tuning in the Vortex transmission forum. They do quite a bit of trans work and may be able to get you that answer.
I do know that there are differences in the crankshaft snubs between manual and automatics. With both being electronic designs you would think they would be compatible confused24.gif
flmont
a Paddle shift 914 would be badass ...!!!
poorsche914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 28 2017, 12:00 AM) *
No idea. I imagine you would have to switch out the TCM's and at the very least reprogram the trani code in VagCom for the engine. Maybe new guage cluster?

I think your better off getting the right trani and selling your old one.
Great resource
http://www.car-part.com/

The problem is, an entire decade or more of VW automatics are garbage. Buying a used one would be hit or miss. Even if coming from a "known working" car - just a matter of time before it has issues. dry.gif

Thanks for the response.

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(okieflyr @ May 28 2017, 09:47 AM) *
See if you can get this question in front of Tom w/AP Tuning in the Vortex transmission forum. They do quite a bit of trans work and may be able to get you that answer.
I do know that there are differences in the crankshaft snubs between manual and automatics. With both being electronic designs you would think they would be compatible confused24.gif

I have this same question posted in both the Automatic Transmission and Golf/Jetta Mk4 forums of VWVortex. After a week, no response yet. I'll keep checking.

If we end up getting the parts GTI and I find the time, I may just try swapping them and seeing what happens.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.