Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
Is there a procedure to positioning/aligning the engine/transmission when reinstalling back in the car? It seems like play in the mounting brackets and bolts allow for a wide variation in fore and aft positioning as well as skew. Is there an optimal fore/aft position? Should the bolts be tightened with the wheels on the ground and CV joint bolts tight? The reason I ask is that the sheetmetal connected at the engine/trans joint is about 2 inches into the engine compartment and the rubber seal does not go over it, i.e. there is a gap between the sheet metal piece and the seal. I just tightened up all of the bolts where they laid without attempting any alignment or positioning. Sorry no pictures.

Thanks,
Jeff
r_towle
My suggestion would be to move it forward as much as you can.
The tranny mounts can be loosened to allow you to move it forward.

2 inches is to much. Are you sure the sheet metal is installed correctly?

If so, you must try to move the engine forward enough to make sure the cold air on the top of the motor and the warm air below stay seperate.

I have used a small car jack behind the tranny while all the bolts are loose, not out...it helps to posistion it alone.

If you cannot move it enough, loos at the two 13 mm bolts that hold the tranny mounts to the car...they also can be moved, not much but a little.

Then you will have to redo your shift linkage from before, cause it will be to long.

Rich
r_towle
Also, make sure your engine bar is on in the right direction..there are pics in the haynes manual.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.