Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heater J tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
I am about to install my 2.0 engine in a 76 model. The engine is a GC. The heat exchangers I think are early 2.0, the passenger side J tube fits ok but he driver side won't fit over the fan shroud. The fan housing has a mount in the casting for a pin to hold a flapper. I can't find a good reference. Thanks Brian
Dave_Darling
What do you mean by J tubes? What I usually call that are the tubes running through the engine tin down to the S-duct to the heat exchanger. All 914s had them, though the 75-76 ones may have been a little different. (Not sure though.)

None of them went over the fan shroud, so I think you're talking about some other part?

--DD
80cap
Dave
The J tube attaches to the duct that goes between the fan cover and the heat exchanger.
I did not describe it correctly. That is the part that does not fit onto the fan cover. There is a opening on the fan cover that has the rectangular opening which my part won't fit on. The driver side is ok, it doesn't have the boss for a pin and flapper. I will try to take a picture and post it. I think the fan housing for a 76 might be the problem.
Brian
Dave it is the s duct which won't fit over the fan housing opening.
Dave_Darling
I don't believe that the fan shroud is different on the 75-76 cars. The ducting from the shroud to the exchanger is different. Here is a pic of the late-style one:

IPB Image

The rectangular opening should be basically the same, even though the parts the opening is in are different.

--DD
jcd914
Fan housing were the same for all years of the 914.

Jim
Mikey914
There is a difference in the plumbing for the heater. I do believe you are referring to the dual blower set up. There are 2 hoses that come off a splitter on the blower and go into the J tubes to provide air through both sides of the heat exchangers directly.

Definitely, 75-76 correct for the dual hose. Many earlier ones have been retrofitted, but I think this was an change made in 74 somewhere????
914werke
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 30 2017, 12:28 AM) *
Fan housing were the same for all years of the 914.
Jim

Not exactly there is a early and a late fan shroud, but from a functional standpoint
they all have the same tube /air connections.
The late shroud is differatiated by the additional bosses cast in to mount the air pump.
Matty900
Just ran through all of the variations with Bruce Stone last week in trying to decipher the PET. In the from 70-72 the blower that supplies air into the heat exchangers was mounted on the engine and had 2 air outputs. One to the driver's side and one to the passenger's side. In 73 the fan was moved to the corner behind the driver and there was only one hose coming out that fed into the driver's side. in 75-76 they added a splitter to the blower and ran a hose to both sides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.