Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wheel bearing get loose too often
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
second wind
Happy Memorial Day.....my wheel bearings seem to loosen up far too often. I replaced less than 30,000 miles ago and when i tighten them back up I allow wheel to spin freely but with a touch of drag. Any thoughts on what is going on? Thank you!
gg
Rand
I don't get the phrase "Happy Memorial Day." When I was young it was a day off and a three day weekend to party. I'm embarrassed to admit that now. It is a day to reflect, mourn, and honor with serious respect. Not a happy day.

I don't know what your wheel bearing problem is. Would misalignment contribute? Maybe ask in the garage, not here.
euro911
Could be abnormal wear from the races not fully seated when initially installed, not enough grease in the bearings, excessive hard cornering, axle nut not cinched tight enough and un-threading confused24.gif

Do you tighten the axle nuts real tight after installing new bearings/races, then back the nuts off before cinching them with the Allen bolts?
bdstone914
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 29 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Could be abnormal wear from the races not fully seated when initially installed, not enough grease in the bearings, excessive hard cornering, axle nut not cinched tight enough and un-threading confused24.gif

Do you tighten the axle nuts real tight after installing new bearings/races, then back the nuts off before cinching them with the Allen bolts?

agree.gif
Did you properly seat the bearing races? I would pull a wheel and inspect. Did you use quality ( non Chinese ) bearings ?
And this should be in the Garage forum not Parts for sale forum.

Bruce
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(second wind @ May 29 2017, 10:05 AM) *

... when i tighten them back up I allow wheel to spin freely but with a touch of drag.

Is it possible that you're installing them too tight? A "touch of drag" is hard to evaluate your calibration. I was surprised years ago when I adjusted to factory spec, how little bearing pre-load there was. With your hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on an installed tire/wheel, rock it back and forth and there will be some noticeable movement in the bearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.