Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fan flange removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I tried to remove the fan flange so that i can replace the seal behind it but it hasn't budged.

Is there a knack to removing this? Is it safe to fix the puller straigjt onto the flange or is it too brittle?
iankarr
Are you referring to the fan hub? If so, after you take out the center bolt, you can take some super thick washers or thick metal stock and place between the hub and case under all three fan bolt holes. Make sure the metal overlaps the case by a good amount. Put the bolts back in (without the fan) and slowly tighten them equally against the washers/metal (kind of like a steering wheel puller) until the hub pops. And pop it will. Make sure you don't lose the woodruff key when it pops. Use some cloth as a catch all. If you use washers, make sure they're at least 3/16 thick so they don't bend or allow the bolt to pierce through and damage the case.
McMark
agree.gif

Getting them to pop off can be a PITA. But Ian's got the right technique.
JFG
Thanks for the tip. I think i have some 5mm flat bar that will hopefully fit between the hub and case. Back on it tomorrow.
Dave_Darling
Make sure you have something under your work area to catch the Woodruff key when it jumps out of the keyway in a desperate bid for freedom. Or be ready to spend 10-40 minutes chasing all over the garage floor looking for it.

(Don't ask how I know.)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.