Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Transmission Options???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rotary914
Hello - I'm new to this particular forum.

I want to have an "Outstanding" shifting 914.
Currently I have a tail shifter 901.
I plan to do an engine conversion (in about a year) and expect approx 275HP.

This will be a daily driver with occational track use.
I also want a Quaife differential.

I looked into other transmissions. I've heard negative things about the 915's shifting.
The G50 is a little too expensive.

The solution I came up with was a Side shift 901, HD Intermediate plate, tranny oil cooler, magnafluxed gears and internals.
I would just be gentle with 1st gear and launch in second.

What options do I have for shift linkage?
Patrick Motorsports makes one that actually looks real nice.
I thought Wevo made one, but I only saw 915 tranny stuff on their site.

Are there other options??

I'm ready to do something now, just trying to make the right choice

Steve C
72 914
82 RX-7
lapuwali
For a side-shift'd 914 gearbox, just use the stock linkage. You may want to buy a Rennshift. This is probably the best bang-for-the-buck option. You'll probably find first gear to be completely useless, as it's so short, so you might just remove all of the first gear parts and have a four-speed.

The 915 shifts no worse than a 914 gearbox. The linkage options there are varied, and most are quite expensive. WEVO has probably the nicest 915 setup available.

The 930 four-speed is used in some high-torque setups. Renegade can offer you some help there. The only 930 I've seen installed in a 914 used a cable shifter and had a tube cradle made up to support the gearbox.

Other options if you're really starting from scratch are the Audi 5000 gearbox (used in some mid-engined V8 powered kitcars), and the Boxster gearbox, which also appears to be a recent Audi unit. These all use cable-operated shifters. The Boxster shift lever will apparently fit the 914 with some fabrication.

skline
Outstanding answer James, I couldnt have done better myself.
redshift
Fantastic Scott! I don't kiss ass no better than that!

wink.gif

M
rotary914
Thanks for the suggestions.
Have you seen a Boxter gearbox in a 914?
Do you know how to get in contact with someone who did that?

Steve C
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ May 11 2005, 02:30 PM)
Fantastic Scott! I don't kiss ass no better than that!

wink.gif

M

Thanks for the visual..... dry.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (rotary914 @ May 12 2005, 08:30 AM)
Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve C

do a search here for that.....he does have a few pictures...fitting the transmission to the car is a no brainer, fitting the engine to the transmission is the hard part for our air-cooled engines since the bellhousing mating surfaces are totally different.....being that you are going to use a rotary engine, it might be easier for you, but it will still be a custom adapter...and no, Kennedy Engineering will not have one, it'll be up to you (or your shop) to fabricate it......the figure I thought I read was that the owner here with the 3.6(?) mated to the boxster transmission coughed up in excess of $10K for the install (not including the price of the transmission)...yes, R&D work can get expensive wacko.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (rotary914 @ May 12 2005, 07:30 AM)

Go to the Pelican 914 BBS, and do a search. Search on the word "solution" in the title of the post (that's a search option), and one of the two or three threads will be about "the ultimate solution to 914 shifting problems". Pics and a description will be in there.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.