Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire in Agua Dulce
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Just saw this on the news, Agua Dulce is in LA County. Sounds like a arson fire. News showed a 914 (yellow) and a blue 911 burning. Owners name is Arnie Verbiesen, anyone know him ?? He stated he had a million dollar car collection.

http://abc7.com/news/fire-destroys-agua-du...h-fire/2050189/
Jeff Hail
Arnie has been around a long long time and lives about 10 miles from me. Jack of all trades and ventures.

Arnies old venture in another lifetime is the shop that performed the body modifications (tipped back windshield/ lowered roof line ) on my buddy Chris's infamous Mullholland King of the Hill Carrera in the 1970's..

Had a lot of cars stored at the movie ranch. He is getting up there in age and undergoing cancer therapy. He needs a fire in his life right now like a hole in the head.
jim_hoyland
We're his cars featured in a previous thread several years ago ?
rhodyguy
I did a general web search for 'king of the hill carrera'. The result of a REALLY long pelican thread was quite the read. 107 pages? Back and forth about mullholland drive back in the 'day'. Great stories. It's a wonder any of those rascals survived.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 31 2017, 07:50 AM) *

I did a general web search for 'king of the hill carrera'. The result of a REALLY long pelican thread was quite the read. 107 pages? Back and forth about mullholland drive back in the 'day'. Great stories. It's a wonder any of those rascals survived.

I 'member those times. I hit Mulholland around 1976 with a fiat spider. But the kings were the Carrera, a 60's Vette and 240z. Saw a 18 yr old kid drive his dad's Pantera off "Carl's Corner". Still remnants of cars down there.
JmuRiz
Moral of the story...don't rent out space to anyone biggrin.gif

What a shame, I'm sure there was a lot of cool cars lost.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 31 2017, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 31 2017, 07:50 AM) *

I 'member those times. I hit Mulholland around 1976 with a fiat spider. But the kings were the Carrera, a 60's Vette and 240z. Saw a 18 yr old kid drive his dad's Pantera off "Carl's Corner". Still remnants of cars down there.

Crazy Charley Woit "King of the Hill" in his Corvette, in real life did not crash + burn at Mulholland Drive as the movie depicts . His Corvette had a suspension failure on the freeway and hit a concrete K-rail. He also built a lifted 4wd Oldsmobile that he drove around the Hollywood Hills canyons. Wonder if Arnie wrenched on Charley's cars ?
Jeff Hail
Hey Marty!

Charlie was the wrench! He worked at the gas station on Crescent Hts and Sunset. He worked on some of Bud Ekins and Steve McQueens vehicles that regularly went down to Baja for the desert races. He was friends with both families, childhood pal of Joe Michiels.

Late 70's he was living in Canyon Country on Gazeley Street a couple of miles from me. On Sundays he would sell gold panning supplies at the Saugus Speedway swap meet. Interesting guy and probably far more to him than most knew. Avid miner, owned a placer mine called the Gentle Buzzard Mine.

He died on Vasquez Canyon Road near the 14 and was interred at Forest Lawn.

I only saw the Corvette a few times of times on Mulholland. I saw the lifted Oldsmobile around the valley quite a bit going up down Sepulveda and the 405 when it was actually still a freeway.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 1 2017, 06:59 AM) *

Hey Marty!

Charlie was the wrench! He worked at the gas station on Crescent Hts and Sunset. He worked on some of Bud Ekins and Steve McQueens vehicles that regularly went down to Baja for the desert races. He was friends with both families, childhood pal of Joe Michiels.

Late 70's he was living in Canyon Country on Gazeley Street a couple of miles from me. On Sundays he would sell gold panning supplies at the Saugus Speedway swap meet. Interesting guy and probably far more to him than most knew. Avid miner, owned a placer mine called the Gentle Buzzard Mine.

I only saw the Corvette a few times of times on Mulholland. I saw the lifted Oldsmobile around the valley quite a bit going up down Sepulveda and the 405 when it was actually still a freeway.

Hey Jeff ¡
Since we are not that far off topic with Arnie's fire...the gas station was a Standard (today a Chevron)...used to get my 102 octane Supreme over there for the '69 Camaro driving.gif I believe that Charley's family had a home up on Gould Dr., about 5 min to Sunset + Crescent Heights.
The mechanics shops are now an Extra Mile mini mart...but Charley left his good spirit there; great coffee "Seattle's Best " brand ! Is he at Forrest Lawn Hollywood Hills or Glendale ?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 1 2017, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 1 2017, 06:59 AM) *

Hey Marty!

Hey Jeff ¡
Since we are not that far off topic with Arnie's fire...the gas station was a Standard (today a Chevron)...used to get my 102 octane Supreme over there for the '69 Camaro driving.gif I believe that Charley's family had a home up on Gould Dr., about 5 min to Sunset + Crescent Heights.
The mechanics shops are now an Extra Mile mini mart...but Charley left his good spirit there; great coffee "Seattle's Best " brand ! Is he at Forrest Lawn Hollywood Hills or Glendale ?

2 blocks over from Gould on Stanley Hills Drive between Lookout Mtn and Wyndham. Yup Forest Lawn Hollywood in an unmarked grave. I was there visiting a friend who had passed and asked at the gate if they had a Charles Woit about 7-8 years ago, sure enough weird part was the grave is 5 plots away from my friends grave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.