Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor re-install & timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
(Please be understanding. I've been reading and searching the forum, trying to fix this!)

I'm in the final stages of reinstalling the FI back into my '70 1.7. The car previously had a 009 dizzy, and I've put the FI one back in. I set the timing statically at TDC. I can see the notch in the flywheel at the inspection port at the top of the engine as it mates to the transmission. (I loosened up the rear engine tin and shifted it forward an inch. A cellphone balanced over the joint using a "Magnifier" app works wonders here.)

I'm turning the engine by rotating the right rear wheel, with the other wheel blocked, with the car in 5th gear. Spark plugs out.

After tracking down why it won't start (or even try), I discovered that I installed the distributor 180* off. By doing the "finger in the spark plug hole" of #1 trick, it blows your finger out while pointing at the #3 spark plug wire. The distributor is positioned how it is usually is depicted, with the vacuum can to the left. Notch in dizzy case points approximately to the fan inspection port.

This makes sense, right?

To correct this, do I need to:
1. set the engine at TDC for #1, with the rotor pointed at #3 (incorrectly),
2. pull the dizzy,
3. rotate the engine 360* (watching the notch come back around to top once),
4. re-insert the distributor in the same position (still pointing at #3).
5. Check to see I've got it right by rotating the engine and verifying I get the air blast from spark plug #1 hole while the distributor rotor is pointing at plug wire #1
6. Re-set timing statically
7. Turn the key and pray!
8. Set timing properly with timing light once it's running

Thanks for your help!
ChrisFoley
Easiest way - move the all plug wires on the distr cap two holes clockwise (or anti-clockwise).
Start engine, set timing with timing light.
clapeza
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 30 2017, 04:14 PM) *

Easiest way - move the all plug wires on the distr cap two holes clockwise (or anti-clockwise).
Start engine, set timing with timing light.

I thought about trying that. Thanks for the verification!
ChrisFoley
The "correct" way is to pull the distributor, remove the drive gear and rotate it 180 degrees before re-inserting. Then install the distributor, start engine, and set timing with timing light.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 30 2017, 04:42 PM) *

The "correct" way is to pull the distributor, remove the drive gear and rotate it 180 degrees before re-inserting. Then install the distributor, start engine, and set timing with timing light.

agree.gif

Don't forget there's a washer under the drive gear, often it stays in the engine. Fish it out with a magnet and when reinstalling stick it to the drive with a bit of axle grease.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.