Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Negative Battery connection ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
This unit was on the car at purchase. It's basically a kill switch. It connects to my negative battery post and the battery cable. The cable tightens to the top end of the unit. The nut in the middle of the unit can be tightened for connection or loosened to break the connection.

The problem is that I discovered that the clamp end that should tighten around the battery post is too large to snug against the post. Can I line the post with something to allow this unit to be snugged against the post...or trash it?

I assume all battery posts were the same in diameter. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
DanClick to view attachment
type2man
It should fit on the negative post which is a little smaller than the positive post
stinkindiesel
Or it was intended to go on the DIN standard 19.5mm positive post, and someone tried to put it on the 17.9mm negative...

Gary
Dave_Darling
The battery post is lead. If you have any spare lead lying around, you can use that. Brass should also work, if you've got some scraps. Or strip the insulation off some wire and wrap it around the post or line the inside of the clamp with it.

--DD
dgraves
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ May 30 2017, 07:21 PM) *

Or it was intended to go on the DIN standard 19.5mm positive post, and someone tried to put it on the 17.9mm negative...

Gary

That's an interesting thought, Gary. Would this be appropriate for the positive terminal?
Dan
GeorgeRud
Scrap it. These usually have a plastic knob to easily disconnect the battery instead of a bolt. As long as you need to use a wrench, why not just use it to remove the negative battery clamp?
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(dgraves @ May 30 2017, 11:41 PM) *

That's an interesting thought, Gary. Would this be appropriate for the positive terminal?
Dan

Personally, I wouldn't use it on either...

Get a real kill switch, or just use a wrench.

Gary
Frankvw
I guess it was supposed to be one of these. They have the size for the Negative battery post , and after install, you can disconnect the Neg-battery terminal in a second.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.