Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And Yet Still Another Sawzall Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
Hello All. I'm still making progress with my 914. I scored a fresh low-milage two-litre for a really good deal, so I'm stoked on that. Anyway my question is, how about that heat shield all the way out back under the trunk floor? That sucker is for the stock muffler obviously and can be removed, yes? What about the complete removal of the rear trunk floor? There should be some bracing installed to keep the rear end of the tub from flexing right? Thanks for any assistance with my inquiries. Regards, -K-
URY914
You can cut the piece of sheet metal above the muffler out. I don't think it does a whole lot anyway.

But I won't cut the floor of the trunk out unless you add something back in. So it is really not much to be gained. On a race car you gain access to the CV and tranny and you put a bar in between the shock towers.

But not needed on a street car IMHO.

Paul

Seventyfive914
Hello Paul, and thanks for your reply. I do intend to race this car, so that was part of my objective in the gaining of access to the mechanicals as well as a bit of lightening of the tub. I intend on leaving the original strut brace as well as replacing the removed trunk floor with tubular bracing. What do you recommend for the positioning of the braces? Diagonal? X brace maybe? Thanks for any input. Regards, -K-
PS - Do you happen to know if the tubs were welded up at the factory "under tension"? What I'm driving at of course is should the bracing be installed before the sheet-metal is removed to preserve any existing tension that may be inherent to the original structure.
URY914
Rear trunk bracing is done several ways. Some will weld a X brace from the shock towers to the crossmember which supports the rear tranny mounts.

Others will only weld bars stright from the towers down to the crossmember.

But let me say this, it all depends on your intent. How much of a race car are you building? A light duty -4 autox and DE car or a ground pounding 3.6?

I tried to do my bracing before I cut away the stock sheetmetal. This way your overall alinement of the car will stay closer to stock.

Paul
Seventyfive914
Hello Paul, and thanks again for your input. Well, initially my car is going to be running the two litre Type IV. I may increase the displacement later, but it will always stay air-cooled and German. It will be a slow build-up, but I intend to drive the car on the street while doing so. Otherwise it wouldn't be any fun smoking the ricers and "muscle-cars" at the stop-lights. I'll make all my modifications with ultimate high-horsepower output in mind so I won't have to go back and re-engineer stuff. Stay-tuned! Regards, -K-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.