Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid grill color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jbuggyus
Hello, i am getting ready to repaint my engine lid grill and was curious on what color black these were painted ( gloss,semi,satin)? Previous owner painted them gloss black but seams a bit to glossy. Thanks
Steve Snyder
30% semi-gloss.
Jbuggyus
Thank you Steve
McMark
Also, the sections of body below the grills are supposed to be black. I often see these body color on repaints.
iankarr
Color-wise, did the factory paint them black...or more like a charcoal?
TheCabinetmaker
Mine was black when new. Never seen a charcoal
TheCabinetmaker
30% gloss is correct, but it's closer to a satin than semi gloss.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 31 2017, 12:05 PM) *

30% gloss is correct, but it's closer to a satin than semi gloss.

agree.gif with Curt, or thereabouts 30% gloss.

Same satin black for tops, rocker covers, valances & the black textured 73-74 bumpers - all those with the spatter/pebble texture - so you could shoot them all at the same time, after applying the texture with Wurth Schutz underbody coating. And as McMark says about the satin black under the grills too.

The big manuals set under body has a paint listed, & some TSBs also listed as Satin Black, with a paint code, but it would be hard to equate that 1969-76 paint to any mfgr. today.

PS - There are 1 or more topics in the O&H Forum on how to apply the Wurth Schutz for texture FYI, just google it to find them easier than with the search on here.
(& no texture goes on the grills/under them, just to be clear - I was just grouping the satin black parts for you above.)

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mangrum
Has anyone painted the engine lid grill body color? I've seen pics of 914s with body color tops, valances and rockers, but don't remember if any had the engine lid grill body color. Has anyone done this and have pics? Is there a reason to not paint them body color? BTW my '72 is L13M Saturn yellow.

Thanks,
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.