Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
troth
Go easy on me. I know how to work a multimeter, but don't have much experience diagnosing electrical problems.

I'm having an issue with my wipers where they will intermittently "wave at the other cars" as my mom says. They will go off once when I first start the car, and then every few minutes they'll go off once. And yes the wiper switch is in the off position. Fast and slow modes both seem to work normally. Unplugging the circular relay on the far left side of the fuse panel seems to keep them off.

Any ideas?
SirAndy
Do you have the (optional) intermittent harness and relay in the front trunk?
idea.gif
ljubodraz
I have similar issues on very rare occasions. Recently discovered that my teener has the intermittent wiper option that SirAndy suspects. Haven't tried diagnosing yet. Don't know where to begin.

Relay is mounted on the back of a vertical support, drivers side to right of brake fluid reservoir. Relay is approx. 3"-4" tall. Check to see if you have one. Let me know if you need a picture.
troth
Is this the relay y'all are talking about?
http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/Wip...nstructions.pdf

I'm not seeing that anywhere on mine.

I found this thread on pelican parts: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-wont-quit.html

Is the internal disk they're talking about present on my wiper motor? What about that intermittent switch? Or is that the optional relay y'all are talking about?

Hmmmmm
ljubodraz
Troth - yes the relay you found on the Bowlsby website is the relay we are referring to for the intermittent wiper option. The relays might look different. Beyond that, I know nothing more to help you with. I believe the owner's manual shows how to set the intermittent delay amount. If you don't have the relay then it's a moot point. Hopefully others can help you diagnose.
troth
False alarm. I checked again, this time with daylight. I DO have that intermittent relay. Nothing appears visually wrong. Wires are all intact and connected. No signs of anything burning. Do these go bad? Is there a good way to test it?
7TPorsh
Maybe bypass it? or do the reverse of the installation in that pdf?
ljubodraz
Troth - this won't really help you but I misstated something in my previous post. The manual does not indicate that the intermittent interval is adjustable. It states the interval is fixed to wipe about every ten seconds.

The reason I thought it was adjustable is from an old thread (2012) which indicates you can install an alternate relay that does allow adjustment by flipping lever down then up again. How long you leave it down sets the interval for when you flip it down next. I don't want anyone to be misled by my previous post either now or years from now. wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(troth @ Jun 1 2017, 02:46 PM) *
I checked again, this time with daylight. I DO have that intermittent relay. Nothing appears visually wrong. Wires are all intact and connected. No signs of anything burning. Do these go bad? Is there a good way to test it?

Start by taken the relay out and see if that stops your "wave at the other cars" problem.

If it does, the relay is getting intermittent power from somewhere when it shouldn't.
popcorn[1].gif
troth
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2017, 12:27 AM) *

QUOTE(troth @ Jun 1 2017, 02:46 PM) *
I checked again, this time with daylight. I DO have that intermittent relay. Nothing appears visually wrong. Wires are all intact and connected. No signs of anything burning. Do these go bad? Is there a good way to test it?

Start by taken the relay out and see if that stops your "wave at the other cars" problem.

If it does, the relay is getting intermittent power from somewhere when it shouldn't.
popcorn[1].gif

Pulled the relay out a couple hundred miles ago and have not had the issue since. Seems to me I have a wire short to hunt down...
jim_hoyland
Ahhh, the Gjost Wipe strikes again. I've noticed ghost wipes either when using the turn signal or just moving the steering wheel on occasion.
It may be caused by a weak ground on the steering column; the upper right screw that holds the switches to the column is a ground. A loose contact here may be the cause
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.