Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
I have full set of Euromeister Fuchs replicas (7x16) on the way and need to mount some new rubber on them. Likely size will be 205/45/16 or 205/50/16. The car is not my daily driver, so I am not too concerned about the long term wear. I also don't A/X at this time. I am looking for recommendations for local So Cal spirited back road driving. driving.gif Any recommendations?
Mark Henry
Round ones... biggrin.gif
Coondog
I thought we could go a week without this question...... blink.gif

Just go to Americas tire and get there Expert advise, because you have 16" rims they will more then likely have to order them. Ask if they have the new lazor tire balancer.
914_teener
QUOTE(drem914 @ May 31 2017, 03:37 PM) *

I have full set of Euromeister Fuchs replicas (7x16) on the way and need to mount some new rubber on them. Likely size will be 205/45/16 or 205/50/16. The car is not my daily driver, so I am not too concerned about the long term wear. I also don't A/X at this time. I am looking for recommendations for local So Cal spirited back road driving. driving.gif Any recommendations?

I.d go with the 50 series if your fenders are rolled.

If not go with the 45's.
Coondog
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 31 2017, 04:02 PM) *

Round ones... biggrin.gif

I have been wanting to say that for months now but with 550 post I don't think I have earned the right to be a smartass. 1000 post yes but not 550..... happy11.gif
drem914
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2017, 04:16 PM) *

Just go to Americas tire and get there Expert advise, because you have 16" rims they will more then likely have to order them. Ask if they have the new lazor tire balancer.

That is where I was heading. I just thought with the overwhelming quantity of experts on the site there would be a quick response. I normally do a search before I pose a new topic and should have done that here.
Coondog
QUOTE(drem914 @ May 31 2017, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2017, 04:16 PM) *

That is where I was heading. I just thought with the overwhelming quantity of experts on the site there would be a quick response. I normally do a search before I pose a new topic and should have done that here.

Understand your thought process. A search would have given 1000 different views but at the end of the day most of us go into a tire shop with what we think we want and leave wearing a different pair of shoes....... smile.gif What's great about A.T is you can order several types of tires then choose what you think works best.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Yokohama S.Drive in 205-55-16. 25" is about right for stock tire diameter. A smaller tire is going to increase your freeway cruising rpms. driving.gif
cgnj
I see fender rolling in your future
porschetub
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jun 1 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Yokohama S.Drive in 205-55-16. 25" is about right for stock tire diameter. A smaller tire is going to increase your freeway cruising rpms. driving.gif

First logical answer however it makes me amazed at the lack of search done.
You need to retain 205/55/16 for a simple reason of speedo gearing.if you don't worry about that go for 50's or 45's as I have seen ,the lower profiles look great great but have issues ...one remedy is to go to a tyre/rim calculator and mark your speedo accordingly...not saying its legal but will help you,just bear in mind issues with body clearance,my rear body is pulled for 7'' with 55's ok ,good luck.
drem914
QUOTE(cgnj @ May 31 2017, 10:43 PM) *

I see fender rolling in your future

They already are. May need to pull on them a bit though.
Andyrew
Whats your budget?

If the car never sees the rain, then I would just go with any of the street autox tires. They will stay grippy for years and you'll still get 20k miles out of them. Which for most 914's is 10 years, longer than the use life of the tire!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 31 2017, 09:42 PM) *

Actually stock tire diameter is 24", 25" is too big -your speedo will be way off if you go 205/55/16- ask me how I know--- that's what I have now, but should have put on 205/50/16, that would be closer, you might have fitment issue in rear if not flared-mine rubbed pretty good even with lip bent in rear, had to do a lot of working the fenders to get the 7" to fit-
I have Bridgestone Potenza summer performance track/street tires - actual tread width on that rim with that tire is about 8.4" wide! that's why they rub( I am assuming that your euromister have the same spacing as the actual 911 period correct 7" fuchs - Potenzas really stick but will not get tons of miles out of the, in the future im going to go with 195 in rear on those so they don't rub, they will be about a half inch less tread width but still over 7" wide is plenty of tread on ground for a narrow body stock 2.0 street car like mine.
TravisNeff
I would look at 195x55x16. I have Potenza's too same size as Philip and they are wide and had to do some ugly stuff to the fenders to get them to fit.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 1 2017, 01:00 PM) *

I would look at 195x55x16. I have Potenza's too same size as Philip and they are wide and had to do some ugly stuff to the fenders to get them to fit.

agree.gif , I did too, you don't want to do that. the 195/55 will still get you 7.5+ inches on the road for width but you should not rub and you will be within 1/4" of proper diameter.
I run 6" wide rim in front with same 205/55 tires and have a 5/8" spacer to keep from rubbing on inside on turns- no issue so I think I would be fine with 7" in front too, many do run 7's front and rear.
porschetub
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 2 2017, 04:00 AM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 31 2017, 09:42 PM) *

Actually stock tire diameter is 24", 25" is too big -your speedo will be way off if you go 205/55/16- ask me how I know--- that's what I have now, but should have put on 205/50/16, that would be closer, you might have fitment issue in rear if not flared-mine rubbed pretty good even with lip bent in rear, had to do a lot of working the fenders to get the 7" to fit-
I have Bridgestone Potenza summer performance track/street tires - actual tread width on that rim with that tire is about 8.4" wide! that's why they rub( I am assuming that your euromister have the same spacing as the actual 911 period correct 7" fuchs - Potenzas really stick but will not get tons of miles out of the, in the future im going to go with 195 in rear on those so they don't rub, they will be about a half inch less tread width but still over 7" wide is plenty of tread on ground for a narrow body stock 2.0 street car like mine.

You are indeed correct,and I stand corrected on my comments,50 series is much closer to stock and will have the least speedo error.
My rear 7'' are off a 911 SC 205/55/16 were on there from when I ran them on my 944,they are as new so I will sell them and get the correct ones.
steuspeed
I believe the stock diameter is 25.4" in a 165R15 size. Here is a Porsche approved replacement Pirelli CN36.

http://lucasclassictires.com/165VR15-PIREL...N4-p16515n4.htm
SixerJ
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jun 1 2017, 11:29 PM) *

I believe the stock diameter is 25.4" in a 165R15 size. Here is a Porsche approved replacement Pirelli CN36.

http://lucasclassictires.com/165VR15-PIREL...N4-p16515n4.htm

During a recent German classic car tyre test using a long hood 911 the CN36's were the best performing period tyre especially in the wet. Great-for say an all original -6 or my 911

But the OP has none of neither of those things and has 16" rims to boot, so isn't going to work with his set up

Not sure if you guys can get Falken or Marangoni? (Italian), neither are very expensive here. I've had the latter on the 911 and are way better than the Pirellis that were on it before with the recommendation coming from a race car tyre supplier as the carcass is their race tyre but with a road legal tread / compound. The former I've done 10000's of miles on with the daily driver cars including on my old Audi S6 and happy from a price point / longevity perspective.

OT - The CN36 is kind of spendy, but I am going to purchasing a set for the 911 which is running 7" rears at the moment. Going back to 6" all round in the next month or so when funds allow. This will free up the 7" rims to go with the 8" rims I have stored in the loft and will go on the 914-6 project car
pvollma
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 1 2017, 02:07 AM) *

[...one remedy is to go to a tyre/rim calculator and mark your speedo accordingly...not saying its legal but will help you,

Or, you can use my gear chart calculator at:
Gear Chart Calculator
and just memorize the RPM for 55, 65 and 75 MPH and you'll be close enough for most driving where speed might be an issue. Check out the "Get help" first for an explanation of how to use the app (this should work using a smartphone browser, too). Note that the gear ratios for the 914 are available to be preloaded so that you don't have to look them up to produce the chart.
jim912928
I run 205/55/16 Michelins on 7x16 boxter rims....perfect fit and I didn't have to roll my fenders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.