Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring problem, wipers, center console lights.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
1976 914 2.0
Few wiring issues, I had a buzzing under the console, car had intermittent starting problems, just buzzed when I turned the key. Brand new battery, new modern ignition, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter. After researching, replaced the turn signal relay and starts fine now. When I got the car, the turn signals do not turn off when I make a turn, I have to manually hit the switch to turn them off or they stay on. The windshield wipers take sometimes 5 times to turn them off and they make an electrical buzz. All my ceramic fuses are new. Not sure if when the person who installed an aftermarket steering wheel, smaller but fits me well well has a turn signal/wiper lever issue. Right now the turn signal cut off seems to be broken and the wipers will not shut off without trying it 6 or 7 times. Love the car. I still have the original OEM 914 steering wheel. The current steering wheel is a small diameter Grant brand steering wheel. It has no horn contact so the horn button does not work.

Cliff notes:
Wipers going nuts, they will not turn off till they want to.
Horn does not work, not sure if I can use Grant steering wheel horn contact from OEM wheel
Center console gauges do not light up anymore
Turn signal does not turn off after making a turn, stays on all the time unless manual moving the lever to cancel it.
Changing Blinker module helped with starting problem but still some wiring issues.
steuspeed
There should be a black plastic turn signal canceling tab. Look at your original wheel. It should be at 90 degrees to work properly.

You should be able to get the horn to work. It's a simple circuit.
Dave_Darling
Blinker module should not affect starting. Something is wired quite wrong if it did.

The horn should sound when the wire coming up through the steering column is grounded. That completes a circuit through the horn relay, which sends power to the horn.

Turn signal canceling is due to the tab under the wheel, as steuspeed said.

Center console gauges are powered off the headlight switch. There's a wire that sends power down to a connector under the console. Power to the license plate lights and the rear trunk lights also comes from this circuit. If the license plate light wires are reversed, you will keep blowing the fuse that powers these. (And it's a lot of "fun" to troubleshoot.)

The wiper thing could be in the wiper switch, the wiring, or it could be the contact in the wiper motor that detects when the wipers are at the "stop" point.

--DD
carcus
Well, few grand invested....this was the first car I owned overseas in the military in 1990 but had a 914-6 Euro Spec I could not take back. Spent about $3 grand on this and now dealing with wiring issues, at the mechanic now. Still need to have the rusted seat pan replaced. Getting frustrated and about ready to throw in the towel but the memories of this car keep me going.

Windshield wipers going nuts and buzzing, probable wire issue or wiper issue or wiper signal lever.

Starts sometimes perfect...all new plugs, wires, modern ignition, fuel pump, fuel filter and battery....might be starter, wiring, ignition switch.

Aftermarket steering wheel on it, old Grant one that is missing the Grant horn contact...not sure that is made anymore.

Tail lights all replaced with new lenses and bulbs but so hard to see in the day.

At the mechanic now getting wiring checked out. I have spent more money than the car is worth, new interior, new brakes, tires....frustrated. All new seals and everything. I just can not trust this car like I did my 1970 VW bug.

Right now stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Opinions and suggestions appreciated. This is my project car but has gone WAY off budget....still needs the floor pan cut out and I have a new one..but that will be over a grand...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.