Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 muffler vs 1.7 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I have a blown out2.0/4 muffler and have a 1.7 muffler system willl the 1.7 fit??? IF not- does any body have a spare 2.0 that I can buy to get me through the next few months until the six is put in.....if it is rusty i can spray it flat black and no one will know.... biggrin.gif
dmenche914
The 2 liter muffler is designed to fit the 2 liter heat exchangers, which are different than the 1.7 heat exchangers. The 1.7 exchangers bend up at the ends near the muffler, the 2.0 heat exchangers have no bend, and go straight back. the effect of the bend is that the ends of the 2.0 heat exchangers are higher up, than the 1.7. The different muffler styles take this into account, so the inlet on the 2.0 liter muffler is higher than on the 1.7 motor. If you try to put the 1.7 muffler on the 2.0 heat exchangers, it would be too high up, and hit the trunk bottom.

The heat exchangers are interchangable, so you can put 1.7 exchangers, and 1.7 muffler on a 2.0 motor, and visa versa.

hope this is clear enough

good luck
SLITS
No!
tat2dphreak
dmenche914 gave you all the pertinent info...

one thing I'd add though: DON'T put 1.7 H/E's on UNLESS they are SSI... the 1.7/1.8 H/E has a smaller diameter than the stock 2.0.... UNLESS they are Stainless... all stainless H/E's have the same diameter(bigger than stock 2.0 even)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 11 2005, 08:48 PM)
The 2 liter muffler is designed to fit the 2 liter heat exchangers, which are different than the 1.7 heat exchangers. The 1.7 exchangers bend up at the ends near the muffler, the 2.0 heat exchangers have no bend, and go straight back. the effect of the bend is that the ends of the 2.0 heat exchangers are higher up, than the 1.7. The different muffler styles take this into account, so the inlet on the 2.0 liter muffler is higher than on the 1.7 motor. If you try to put the 1.7 muffler on the 2.0 heat exchangers, it would be too high up, and hit the trunk bottom.

The heat exchangers are interchangable, so you can put 1.7 exchangers, and 1.7 muffler on a 2.0 motor, and visa versa.

hope this is clear enough

good luck

Clear enough? Yes, but you've got it mostly wrong. The 1.7 HEs do indeed kick up, but the inlets on the muffler are also higher up, NOT lower. The 2 litre muffler has the inlets LOW on the muffler to match the straight HEs. The flanges are also substantially larger on the 2 litre muffler. The Cap'n
914werke
Pete I have a Monza 2.0 muffler that I yanked off the silver (blue) car yesterday if ya wanna come on down $40 and its yours. rolleyes.gif
pete-stevers
you bet.... i'll pm you for the details, thanks boldblue.gif
steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.