Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: e-brake woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schnell944
my e-brake doesnt seem to work. i pulled the cover that goes over the cables that go into the firewall to the brakes. they seem a little slack....is there any way to tighten them up, or should i just expect the worst: that the rear brakes are bad? also, I'm not driving the car really yet....whats an easy way to see if the rear brakes work correctly in my driveway? thanks!
Jeffs9146
Check the pads first then there is an adjuster nut on the outside of the caliper that will adjust the clearence between the rotor and the pad. There is also an adjustment near the handle.

Jeff
garyh
The adjustment is an allen-screw -inside- the caliper. The "nut" you see on the outside is the dust cover for the adjustment.

There is a hole through the trailing arm that allows you to get at it with the car assembled.

There are adjustments for the cable slack, and the venting clearance.

The Haynes manual describes both.

If you just got the car, it very likely that both adjustments are wrong, but the calipers are probably OK.
Jeffs9146
visual!

Jeff
rhodyguy
where the cables exit the firewall you can adj by loosening the lock nuts and turning the other nut. i was just reading about this in the lash book and it explains the whole proceedure very well. for those that don't have one i suggest you get one. their directions seem to be written beter to me. the haynes is the greasy one for the garage.

kevin
Schnell944
what book is this you speak of?
Aaron Cox
the porsche factory manual....
how do i post an attachment?
Aaron Cox
this: (i have the whole catalog on PDF)
Schnell944
duhhhh....you think I would have looked at the obvious things, like if the cables were actuall connected!....bother were disconnected and seem to be missing some sort of pin.....can I buy these seperately from somewhere? i'm thinking using a screw as a pin isnt the best idea....
Jeffs9146
oooopps!! lol I hate it when that happens!!

Jeff
tryan
you might want to take all the cables off and soak them in 10wt or hydrolic (sp) for a day or so. if they have not been used in a while they may be quite crusty.
Schnell944
beer3.gif good idea!
rhodyguy
this book.

kevin
mskala
You should be able to get a pin and cotter that will fit roughly at any hardware store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.