Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impeller Timing Marks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
I just have a quick question:

I have a (new to me) fan impeller installed - & I'm adjusting the valve clearance
for the first time on the new engine with the new fan installed.
As I'm rotating the engine to find the timing mark I also saw a "zero" mark.
My old fan didn't have a zero mark. Little bit further rotation & there's the "real" timing mark.
And the question: Is it really a zero mark? confused24.gif
Thanx,
d7n7master
Probably a really bad pic:
SLITS
The "0" mark should be TDC.

If you have a 27 degree mark for timing, it would be 52.5mm to the right of the "0".
groot
I think some impellers even have a 5 degree mark. If you have a timing gun with adjustable advance, just use the 0 mark.
d7n7master
Thanks All,
------
I forgot to mention that it has a hydraulic Cam & Lifters. This is the "initial" set-up.
Engine is not in the car - yet. cool.gif
Allan
Use the "0" mark. I replaced my fan when I did my engine rebuild and it had it. Tried to use the notch and ended up screwing around for a full day figuring it out (Thanks Scott and Joe).
Dave_Darling
Verify the 0 mark against the notch in the flywheel. Some of the fans are off by a few degrees.

--DD
SLITS
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 12 2005, 11:30 AM)
Verify the 0 mark against the notch in the flywheel. Some of the fans are off by a few degrees.

--DD

Or is the flywheel a few degrees off from the fan wacko.gif ?
Dave_Darling
The fans are a few degrees off from each other. Haven't actually verified that the flywheels are all the same (they probably aren't, with our luck!) but I know that the fans can disagree with each other. Check the fan pics in the timing article on the Bird site.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.