Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 upright cooling oil filler neck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fongbros
I know this may be a one off piece, but I see lots of engines with them. Does anyone know where to get an oil filler like the one in the pic?
Thanks,
Denis
IPB ImageClick to view attachment
mepstein
Probably from FAT.
fongbros
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 2 2017, 01:11 PM) *

Probably from FAT.

I havent been able to locate it in their catalog
Mikey914
Is that a type 2 case?
mepstein
QUOTE(fongbros @ Jun 2 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Probably from FAT.

Call them
fongbros
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 2 2017, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(fongbros @ Jun 2 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Probably from FAT.

Call them

Thank you. I will try that
Dave_Darling
You should be able to get something similar off any Type IV Bus.

The Bus one evidently fouls the firewall when installed in a 914. Not clear if this one would or not.

--DD
fongbros
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 2 2017, 05:31 PM) *

You should be able to get something similar off any Type IV Bus.

The Bus one evidently fouls the firewall when installed in a 914. Not clear if this one would or not.

--DD

Interesting. Thanks
jcd914
I'm not sure that the Bus one or the one pictured here will clear the 914 engine cross bar.
I have seen several people that have had trouble with the cover plate on a bus motor hitting the engine cross bar ant the filler is a bit more that just a cover plate.
But without all the pieces in front of me it is hard to guess.

Jim
porschetub
Modded T4 case for standup 911 fan ..great should be a nice cool running engine,however I see no provision for a dipstick ,the original bus case had a filler and built in dipstick,no one on here knows what this motor is being fitted to...or have I missed something ??.
The original tube could be modified in some way to do both filling and oil level duties ...that's if its going in a 914 ?.
welcome.png .

914Mike
From experience, the cover plate will clear the crossbar, but the nuts holding it on won't. Unless you can make the filler tube somehow come out the side of the cover plate, and somehow recess the fastener, you will have an annoying impact noise on accel/decel.

I suppose you could make all the play go away with solid mounts, but then you have all sorts of noise transmission paths instead of just the one intermittent one.

Overkill cooling anyways, a better approach is using a bolt-on alt stand with oil filler on a stock case with a Type 1 fan and alt. (Let me know if there is one of those out there!) At least in a 914 that you don't want to cut, IMO.

BTW, adding a dipstick tube in the stock location is not that hard. I used a cutoff flared end from some SS brake tubing that was on hand after replacing plastic fuel lines. Having a trashed case and using the original part would be easier, and might look a little better I guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.