Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going from 1.8L to 2056..engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draperjojo
I'm helping my son on an engine upgrade for his 914 and I'm curious about the tin. If I go with new heads instead of using the originals, will the 1.8L tin fit the new 2.0 cylinder heads? I did a google/914 world search but the only thing I've seen is that the spark plug hole is located in a different spot. If that's all it is it seems like that would be easy to overcome. I'm certain someone here has had to deal with this, were you able to use your old tin?
Al Meredith
The spark plug holes are in a different position, thats all. Try going to the 914 store and you may find a set of Len Hoffmen new heads that are 2.0L valve size and his better head design but with the 1.7/1.8 spark location. i have a set.
IronHillRestorations
Al is right. I just ran into this with an engine swap. It's been more than 25 years since I've gotten into this and forgot that the 2.0 upper cylinder covers are different than 1.8's.

It's going to depend on the heads you use. If you go with 1.8 then you need 1.7/1.8 cylinder covers.
Dave_Darling
A hole saw and a welder can take care of the difference between 1.8 and 2.0 tin. Fill in the old spark plug holes, make new ones in the correct location, done.

--DD
VaccaRabite
What dave said. Its not that hard of an issue to fix 1.8 tins to 2.0 tins.

Zach
draperjojo
Thank you for the replies!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.