Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head exhaust bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammer920
the orignal were rusted to the nuts had the machine shop remove them, they are threadded fairly even, The new ones i got from AA have a long the and a short thd, which end of the boult goes into the head going back with SS heat exchangers?

Thanks for any help i can get on this. confused24.gif
skline
You do mean studs right? There are a few different sizes also. You should have studs that are threaded on both ends. If they are over size, it is very obvious which end goes in. I dont recall them bieng of a different pitch but if they are, The fine thread is the one that should be to the outside of the engine. Show a picture of what you have. That will tell everything.
skline
Ok, Now that I have read your thread again, I see I posted garbage. The short end goes into the head, the longer threaded section goes to the outside.

Duh, I'ma stupid blink.gif
Hammer920
thanks both ends are the same thd the head has a deep thd hole so thighten the short end till snugg, the orignal had long thread in the head so i was trying to figure the best way. thanks the thrads was not well posted, when i tried to spell ck it it deleated more than i added my fault did it 3 times.
SLKWrx
Wait.. the short end goes into the block? Wow.. I think I might have made a mistake. On mine all the long end goes to the block and the short end is where the nut goes on.
type47
hmmmm. on first thought, i'd think that the long end would go into the head for better holding power. in my experience, the header "nut" only is able to go on the stud a couple of "threads" until it is tight so i would have thought that would be the short thread end.

i got studs that are threaded the entire length or at least equal length. maybe it would be possible for someone to post the length the stud should stick out of the head to help determine how to install. maybe someone could measure that on a head.
eeyore
Make sure the studs are the right length. Every time I'd get head studs from the VW FLAPS, I'd get something that was too short and just as you described -- short threaded section, small shank, long threaded section. I think they're supposed to be around 2 inches long (51mm for Sir Andy)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.