Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welding heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I've read about the different positions of spark plug holes concerning the various heafs but i can't remember which thread in particular i was reading.

the head off number 3&4 side is going into the engineers for a time sert on number 3 plug hole.

Can the hole be welded up and change position to the easier 2.0 position?
Dave_Darling
Of course it can! That's exactly how HAM (and others) have been converting the heads for years.

Though if you have to ask this question, you are likely not capable of doing the work.

There are special procedures to use when you're welding large aluminum castings, having to do with heating the part and exactly which filler rod and so on. And applying all of that heat will cause the aluminum to move around, so the heads will have to be gone through, with valve jobs done at a minimum.

It's probably cheaper to buy the brand-new 2.0 heads that have recently become available and start with those as a base.

--DD
Mueller
The change in position is not done for easier access, it is for a slight performance increase.

If you do 1, you need to do all 4 cylinders. Relocating just one spark plug will not be ideal since that one cylinder will now burn at a different rate than the others.

You might never notice it, but I wouldn't take the chance.
JFG
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2017, 04:08 PM) *

The change in position is not done for easier access, it is for a slight performance increase.

If you do 1, you need to do all 4 cylinders. Relocating just one spark plug will not be ideal since that one cylinder will now burn at a different rate than the others.

You might never notice it, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Thanks for the info. I'll just stick with a time sert as is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.