Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gurr Girl ing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Haveing just finished the preliminary conversion process from a 4 to a 3.0 six, I have a question for the anointed out there.

Background: My build included a stock original oil tank, original neck, console, etc. All oil lines are SS over rubber at AN 12 sized fittings here necessaary to mate to the Mocal thermostate that opens consistently at around 180 degrees.

My question is this: Have any of the conversion or original six guys experienced a gurgling sound emanating from the oil tank or nearby?

Once the oil system has warmed up, i get some curious sounds back there. I have owned several 911's and never heard such things / however, I have never been this close to the oil tank while the underway.

The oil level is fairly close to where it should be. The engine has around 100 miles on it.
curious.... WTF.gif
sb914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jun 5 2017, 08:40 AM) *

Haveing just finished the preliminary conversion process from a 4 to a 3.0 six, I have a question for the anointed out there.

Background: My build included a stock original oil tank, original neck, console, etc. All oil lines are SS over rubber at AN 12 sized fittings here necessaary to mate to the Mocal thermostate that opens consistently at around 180 degrees.

My question is this: Have any of the conversion or original six guys experienced a gurgling sound emanating from the oil tank or nearby?

Once the oil system has warmed up, i get some curious sounds back there. I have owned several 911's and never heard such things / however, I have never been this close to the oil tank while the underway.

The oil level is fairly close to where it should be. The engine has around 100 miles on it.
curious.... WTF.gif

Probably cause it's upside down. confused24.gif chair.gif poke.gif
mb911
Yes common sound
markhoward
my 911 does it all the time on cold startup. Goes away within a minute..
forrestkhaag
Interesting. Mine does it only when warmed up?? confused24.gif

SirAndy
I can't hear mine, the rest of the car is too loud ...
blink.gif
jkb944t
Wow, I am so glad to see this post. I just got my -6 conversion on the road recently and this weekend I heard the same sound you are describing and it scared the crap out of me.

I couldn't understand how an air cooled car would make this sound. I didn't really think about the oil system at the time so I thought I must be hearing things since it cleared up pretty quickly.

Jeff B
porschetub
Mine shows no sign of doing this but appears to be an issue in 911's from what I have read apparently the noise comes from the filter area,Bruce Anderson (rip) mentioned in Excellence years ago it can be caused by the wrong filter.
I'am using the so called upgrade Mahle OC 61 don't no why its an upgrade I think it is merely larger than the one listed for the 914-6 ...dunno.
Good luck sorting it.
Krieger
It's that Mocal thermostat. I have the same exact one mounted on the firewall on the right side. Sounds like something that would fit in Willy Wonkas' Chocolate factory.
Krieger
Well, it's the oil going through it.
SixerJ
My 72 911 gurgles like no ones business especially when cold, always has done and probably always will. Never noticed any difference with different filters, currently has the correct red purolator filter on it which I think is the same as a -6.

Oil tank is right behind my right ear, same kind of distance to a teener
914Sixer
It is called a dry sump system. The oil has to get moving.
Steve
Never noticed it. Maybe we should compare rides and noises. We pretty much have the same setup.
Madswede
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2017, 10:12 AM) *

I can't hear mine, the rest of the car is too loud ...
blink.gif

agree.gif laugh.gif

If still an issue, may I recommend ITBs? aktion035.gif
kgruen2
Interesting. Dry sump lubrication. I know it's not a Porsche, but prior to start up on a rotax 912 aircraft engine, one has to prime the oiling system prior to engine start by hand propping (ignition turned off) until you hear what sounds like a toilet flushing in the oil tank.
forrestkhaag
I feel a little relieved after hearing all of this. piratenanner.gif

Particularly knowing that my Mocal is located within 6 or 8 inches of the filter and 914-6 stock oil tank. Also, I am running no back-pad so that I can easily check timing thru the engine access hatch in the cabin.

Thanks to all for you gurglings.. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.