Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to find vacuum leaks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
smilie_pokal.gif Got my first teener this past week (75 2.0) but gotta take care of a few issues to get it registered, i.e., pass the Oregon DEQ inspection. The car is idling high/low so I'm assuming its a vacuum leak. I'm going to change out the vacuum hoses using the Auto Atlanta kit. Any other suggestions on potential leak spots?

Also, noticed my air pump isn't working... the pulley/belt isn't moving? Anyone got suggestions?

I'm a complete mechanical novice but luckily have mechanic friend helping out. Get anxious and want to hit the road!!!

Vince
skline
I would use starting fluid or something like that and spray little bursts at the lines, if you have a leak, it will rev up a little. Do not spray it on or around the heat exchangers or exhaust manifolds
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ May 12 2005, 09:06 AM)
I would use starting fluid or something like that and spray little bursts at the lines, if you have a leak, it will rev up a little. Do not spray it on or around the heat exchangers or exhaust manifolds

agree.gif brakecleaner or carbcleaner will work great. spray on the area in question and listen for the idle to change (should go down if you have a leak) ...

keep a fire extinguisher nearby ...
wink.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Carb cleaner works too....added benefit cleans up the engine bay.

On your air pump...unless you need it to pass smog...leave the belt off. Call the inspection station and ask....pretty sure the pump was CA thing in 75....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.