Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And on this episode of Hoarders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I've seen this before, and know the reputation, but thinking from an already online retailer, How would one actually make money here? How many parts are garbage because they are thrown in bins, ho many are really OK how many are junk?
Imagine how many hours of work to inventory and store these in a manner other than stacking?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=311205
jkb944t
I am sure there is money to be made there but I doubt that you would make money at the selling price they are asking.

You would have to spend a lot of time going through everything to really be able to assess the true value of the inventory.

Jeff B
IronHillRestorations
I'm sure there's a lot of good parts there but I'm sure there's a ton of useless left overs. How many gear cases and used fasteners will you ever sell? If it's worth $850, then you'd have to buy it at a fourth or a third of that to make any money.
rick 918-S
Start with their books. What they report anyway. Are they selling enough part to show a profit on a balance sheet? Then what is sold and not reported or under reported. If that checks out the invest a week or two with a crew that knows Porsche parts combing the junk pile to see if this stuff has value and is marketable or just the leftovers from the money making parts. Not sure how to smelt down mag cases into bricks for scrap but that's the way I would want to look at it. What is the scrap weight/value. Anything above that is a bonus.
Mikey914
I think the real killer here is the storage cost and expense to move it. Kind of like come and clean out my garage and pay me too.
Dave_Darling
That's been for sale for quite a while; there are periodically threads about it here. Most people seem to think that most of the high-value stuff is probably already sold, so you'd be paying top dollar for a few good things and a whole lot of stuff that doesn't sell.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 6 2017, 10:22 AM) *

I think the real killer here is the storage cost and expense to move it. Kind of like come and clean out my garage and pay me too.

Bingo!
mbseto
Seems like a labor of love more than a way to pay the rent.
porschetub
Check the sellers website and you will see why he wants so much money for this stuff,how he has priced it is beyond me WTF.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jun 6 2017, 09:53 AM) *

Seems like a labor of love more than a way to pay the rent.

Yes there may be some diamonds in the rough, but more of an obsession hence the title, as I'm sure that much space is $3k a month minimum.
porschetub
Yes Mark but diamonds are worth more , his prices dry.gif ?? some stuff is carefully wrapped and the rest is scrap,funny how there is no real inventory to back it up sad.gif .
914Sixer
This is the stuff from Otto's after he died isn't it ? We all know that price is really subjective when it comes to used parts.
mepstein
We are buying out a shop but it has real inventory. A trailer full of 914-6 engines and trans, MFI pumps and parts, 6 cylinder cases, 356 engines, nos 911 Webers, dozens and dozens of Fuchs, etc and that was just the first haul last year.
Those parts are exactly as Mikey described. Junk that cost money to store or remove.
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2017, 10:52 AM) *

We are buying out a shop but it has real inventory. A trailer full of 914-6 engines and trans, MFI pumps and parts, 6 cylinder cases, 356 engines, nos 911 Webers, dozens and dozens of Fuchs, etc and that was just the first haul last year.
Those parts are exactly as Mikey described. Junk that cost money to store or remove.

Did you see the post on the 914 FB page, someone is selling 4 pair of NOS 2.0 heads which appear to still be covered in the protective cosmoline. Crazy that there is still finds like this.
7TPorsh
All that stuff and only a handful of nuts and bolts are categorized...
mepstein
And when you have a big quantity of low price stuff:
Wharehouse manager
Shipping manager
Customer service
Inventory
Sales
Returns
Headaches
Rent
Bookkeeping

The only you miss out on is profit.

PanelBilly
Its too bad that he doesn't just give it to somebody. Maybe then it "might" be worth the effort to take on.
Mueller
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 7 2017, 12:40 PM) *

Its too bad that he doesn't just give it to somebody. Maybe then it "might" be worth the effort to take on.

I wouldn't want it for free! The logistics of moving and storing all that crap, no thanks.

I had a fellow board member offer to give me a bunch of small items, no thanks.

If it cannot be used on my car right now, I don't want it, I passed up a bunch of stuff at the Part Heaven swap meet that could be flipped for a few extra bucks...again, no thanks!
altitude411
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Mepstein, will you be posting the serial #'s on these 914-6 engines? I doubt my engine ended up back east but you never know... beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Sadly, what will probably happen is the land is significantly more valuable than the parts being sold. So, most will probably be scrapped. They will have picked the cream off the top in the meantime. If they had a reasonable expectation for return they could clear the parts out faster, but they are in no hurry as the real value is the land.
Jonathan Livesay
If I have 1/10 that much junk in my garage does that mean it's worth $85,000? piratenanner.gif
OK, who wants it? bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jun 8 2017, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Mepstein, will you be posting the serial #'s on these 914-6 engines? I doubt my engine ended up back east but you never know... beerchug.gif

I sold them off last year. Within a couple weeks of purchase. My job is to sell, not hoard. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.