Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Ebay Q:wierdness w/ 'buy it now'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
I had a wierd ebay experience recently. I was watching an item that had a "buy it now" as well as the option to place a bid. I thought that with the first bid the "buy it now" option expired. But it didn't. Bidding occured over the space of a day and the "buy it now" remained. Bidding got hot but never reached the reserve. When the high bid got very close to the "buy it now" price (but still below reserve) someone executed the "buy it now" option and it worked. Isn't that wierd? Did ebay change policy on the "buy it now" feature?

-Ben M.
ArtechnikA
i *think* Buy It Now remains until the reserve is met...
Borderline
No, I think that's the way ebay works. You can exercise the "buy it now" option anytime before the bidding ends. so as the bidding approaches the "buy it now" price it makes sense to use it. What sounds weird is the "reserve price" was higher than the "buy it now price". I've never sold anything on ebay, but it sounds like the seller was a little confused when he listed the stuff. Too bad you missed out. sad.gif What I hate on ebay is the guys that come in at literally the last second to out bid you. I've lost a bunch of stuff when I was aout bid buy $1 or so at the last second.

Bill
Jenny
I always thought the buy it now option was available up to when the bid exceeded the buy it now price. That way, if you're really hard up for the item in question, you'd rather buy it now for a higher price than the going rate, but you're ensured the item. Whereas if you're cheap and want to see how low $ you can get it for, you may get outbid by another bidder.

Jen
airsix
I was confused by this and went to the "help" section where I found this statement:
Important: For Buy It Now items that have both a bid price and a Buy It Now price, the Buy It Now price will disappear once a bid is placed. So act quickly!
That's why I thought this was strange.

-Ben M.
Jenny
idea.gif indeed... I dunno then. I just had a sour transaction with an ebayer. I'm laying off the stuff for awhile.

Jen
morph
For reserve auctions the buy it now remains until the reserve is met. For all auctions without a reserve, the buy it now disapears when someone bids.
airsix
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ May 12 2005, 09:08 AM)
For reserve auctions the buy it now remains until the reserve is met. For all auctions without a reserve, the buy it now disapears when someone bids.

Cool. Thanks. smile.gif

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.