Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a 914 2.0, the infamous Vanagon-engined misery-mobile
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
The first couple of paragraphs are amusing...I guess he doesn't like 914's....or 996's

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/bu...be-collectible/

Mueller
I'm guessing the author of that article is more of a writer that likes to use fancy superlatives than being a true driving enthusiast.

Has he ever driven a 914? If that bad in the handling party why do they often give other cars fits on the track and autocross?

When you get paid by the word one is apt to throw in extra misinformation and slander.

How sad that R&T is now fake-automotive news sad.gif
Chris H.
Wow, very disappointing. Doug Kott, the previous Executive Editor of R&T and a member here, is a 914 fan. I used to really look forward to my R&T coming in the mail but cancelled it when they left California. Thanks for reminding me of exactly why.
injunmort
i dont read r&t for so many reasons. the auto journalists are neither car guys or journalists. this fucking moron must have never driven a 914 or bmw 2002. i ve had multiples of both. love both, pick one, well i have 4 914's. and i could be wrong but the type iv is a bus engine that predates the vanagon. just another charlatan propagating the myths of the past. financial considerations aside, i would much rather drive a narp 914 over a 356 with a hot type 1 engine.
IronHillRestorations
I've exchanged emails and messages with Jack Baruth many times over vintage Japanese guitar stuff, but never met him nor spoken with him,seemed like a decent guy.

His dogging the 914 smacks of wine and cheese automotive editorial elitism, not auto enthusiast or someone that appreciates vintage cars. Go Don Rickels on the 914, there's gotta be a MPG Award in there somewhere.

Besides rarity what makes a 356 Super so much better of a performance car than a '73 2.0? OK it was hand built by Teutonic elves and all, but what about on the road, which is a better car?

I'll take your raised pinky and up the ante with grease under the fingernails.

He's right about the 996, and might as well throw the Boxster under the bus too. Either one of those cars won't ever be collectible
MarkV
I opened the article not expecting any 914 content. I had recently seen an article with the opposite content regarding the 996. I am not really a 996 fan but this guys argument for the 996 makes more sense to me.

Here's Why the Porsche "996" 911 Is the Best 911 You Can Buy

http://www.autotrader.com/car-video/heres-...-can-buy-266225

Chris H.
996 is on the list to be my next car...it would have been earlier but...here's a good one...I BOUGHT A VANAGON lol-2.gif av-943.gif It doesn't have a 914 engine in it though....must have been the LE version.

jor
I've found that many purported car guys have only experienced dilapidated, worn 914s taking their last, staggering steps towards death's cold door. You know: those longs-rusted cars with torn seats and shift-linkage-slop that their friends had in high school in the '80s that had been mistreated and maintenance-deferred for so long that time had eroded their suspensions into wandering nomads that couldn't hold a straight line in a level, wide freeway lane. These people just can't understand that their experience was not the one Porsche had designed into the model. Those same purported car guys called the Dino 246 "not a real Ferrari" because (1) the Fiat-built engine didn't have enough cylinders; and (2) in the early 80s, those guys had never experienced one that had been maintained and drove as designed. Like the Dino in the late '80s, tight, healthy 914s are becoming more common as the values rise. That, of course, serves only to increase the value and put more incentive behind restoring them.

Real car guys buy what they like, drive them often, enjoy them as the makers intended, and worry not about in which cars the smart money invests. I've driven a well-cared-for 996. It was a lot of fun. Too bad that writer will never have the pleasure of driving one himself. He'll never know what he's missing. The real sin is that neither will any reader who accepts what he writes.
Porschef
Well said Jor. Reminds me of something along the lines of how I thought about these cars until I actually drove one. Then it became an entirely different story. It took me 40 years from the beginning of production to actually drive one. Prior to that, I simply poo poopooed the 914 as an ugly little bastard. dry.gif

My, how things have changed... idea.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.