Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing tie rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kaiserms
I am looking for some suggestions to remove the tie rod end from the steering connection, the part is attached to a smaller ball joint.
I must also note that the tie rods were changed to Turbo tie rods which shouldn't really make any difference.
I have used PBBlaster, turned the castle nut over and tried to tap the splined end out with a hammer, (not a good idea since that ruins the splines). I have placed a pry bar across the tie rod and hammered on the tie rod.
Does anyone have any suggestions to get the tie rod end to break free?
Help appreciated.
mgp4591
You usually smack the end of the steering arm with a hammer sharply. That doesn't deform the arm if done correctly and the tie rod end should pop out - you really don't want to hit the threaded part. You can also borrow a tie rod end remover compression tool from Auto Zone - I hear it's free according to their commercials.
infraredcalvin
Click to view attachment

Harbor freight
porschetub
This type (in last reply) are the best cause they don't cut the boot and ruin an otherwise good tie rod end,a clown who did my basic alignment managed to ruin one of mine.
If you can't get them to pop straight off use 2 hammers on the spindle eye at both sides works for me.
Last resort is a butane torch in that area,now that's a 100% solution.
kaiserms
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 6 2017, 09:30 PM) *

You usually smack the end of the steering arm with a hammer sharply. That doesn't deform the arm if done correctly and the tie rod end should pop out - you really don't want to hit the threaded part. You can also borrow a tie rod end remover compression tool from Auto Zone - I hear it's free according to their commercials.

Thank you. Will try that and try a short torch, too.
kaiserms
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 6 2017, 09:31 PM) *

Thank you.
kaiserms
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 6 2017, 11:13 PM) *

This type (in last reply) are the best cause they don't cut the boot and ruin an otherwise good tie rod end,a clown who did my basic alignment managed to ruin one of mine.
If you can't get them to pop straight off use 2 hammers on the spindle eye at both sides works for me.

I thought of the torch tonite. Will try tomorrow. Thanks.
mgp4591
QUOTE(kaiserms @ Jun 6 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Are you changing them as part of this operation? If not, you may not want to use the torch unless your goal is to fry the boots and burn out the grease. I'd opt for the other methods first and I've had a lot of success with the hammer methods but remember to wear safety equipment!
kaiserms
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 7 2017, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(kaiserms @ Jun 6 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Are you changing them as part of this operation? If not, you may not want to use the torch unless your goal is to fry the boots and burn out the grease. I'd opt for the other methods first and I've had a lot of success with the hammer methods but remember to wear safety equipment!

I will use the hammer method first, maybe just a short bit on the torch, but stay away from the small ball jnt on the tie rod.
Thanks much.
Frankvw
Beware that if you use that removal tool and the parts are really stuck .they can come loose with quite some force ....
On my vw's i use a fork shaped tool and a bfh but that destroys the rubber boot for sure. It also need some really hard whacks that make you sort of think what else you are going to break...seeing the removal tool in action and on my wanna-have lust now!
Good luck.
rhodyguy
Penetrant, repeatedly, be patient. Pointed bit in an air chisel. Tip in top of threaded end and have at it. You might have to repeat a few times but it should separate preserving the threads. Also helps if you solidly dunnage up the control arm.
t collins
I vote bfh method first smash.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.