Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9XAuto Dash kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Has anyone bought or seen one of their carbon fiber dash face kits? If so, how did it look? Are there any other good/cheaper alternatives?

I have my upper and lower dash in the mail to Dr. Evil so I want to get the foace looking good as well.
Rockaria
I have the kit installed. I like it much better than the stock look. The Carbon Fiber parts are kind of like rubber. So it's really easy to install.

user posted image

More pics:
914 dash with mods and carbon fiber

mattillac

rockaria,

is the 9xauto kit actual carbon fiber, or is it carbon fiber printed plastic or something like
that?

either way, it does look nice on your dash.
p914
So, How hard is it to replace the dash? I have an original in storage with no cracks or anything and have wanted to take out the old one and replace it.
MoveQik
It really isn't that hard. I am not all that mechanical and I got mine out with a little help from the folks here. Search for a thread started by me asking pretty much the same question. The thread is only from a few days ago. There is a good pic of all the attachement points on the dash. You'll want to remove the gauge cluster. You can get by without removing the glove box if you are relly flexible!
Rockaria
QUOTE (mattillac @ May 12 2005, 12:01 PM)
rockaria,

is the 9xauto kit actual carbon fiber, or is it carbon fiber printed plastic or something like
that?

either way, it does look nice on your dash.

I am not a carbon fiber expert, but it seems to me to be a rubber carbon fiber look alike, but it is realy nice. These parts can be rolled up without any damage at all. like a rubber floor matt. I do not know if real carbon fiber can be rolled up. I know the car parts like hoods and wings use a hard compound to keep its shape, but thats about all I know on the carbon fiber side. This dash kit uses double sided sticky tape to hold it in place. and it really does look good.
Demick
Real carbon fiber normally gets impregnated with an epoxy resin (or some other type of resin), and the result is a very stiff and rigid structure.

If this dash kit is flexible like you say, it still may be 'real carbon fiber' in that they used real carbon fiber cloth, but did not lay it up with resin, but rather covered it with a flexible clear vinyl or similar material. The end result isn't really that much different than a sticker or fake carbon fiber printed vinyl, although it may look more authentic - and it allows the mfg to advertise it as 'real carbon fiber'.

Demick
Rockaria
This kit is thick rubber. Like 2mm or so deep and seems to have levels in it. Its not a flat printed carbon fiber like thing. More like two or three layers of stuff. If that makes sense.
StratPlayer
This guy is selling a kit on ebay claims that this stuff is real carbon fiber.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Rockaria
QUOTE (StratPlayer @ May 12 2005, 07:39 PM)
This guy is selling a kit on ebay claims that this stuff is real carbon fiber.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

That is the EXACT kit I have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.