Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HPDE Insurance and the Sh!tty State of New York
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tomeric914
In an attempt to do the right thing today, I looked into other classic auto insurers to see what their take is on insuring a daily driver that would be use on the track as well. I got an eye opener:

I specifically stated (full disclosure) in an insurance application that the vehicle would be used at track day events. This was a company that touted "Motorsports" coverage for daily drivers. DENIED because NY state requires liability no matter where you are. HPDE (track day) insurance only covers the owner for vehicle damage. Liability comes out of the standard day to day policy. Explaining this over the phone to an agent was a waste of time. They see "track day" and say "no way".

I then contacted my regular auto insurance and asked if they would cover a newer sports car which is my daily driver if I attended track day events. Again, "track day", "no way". They said that I may need commercial insurance which tells me that they have no clue at all. I'm still waiting for a response back from them.

PCA has a deal with Lockton Affinity (sp?) and while they offer track day insurance, it is only for vehicle damage and maybe track cleanup, they don't offer liability insurance. Same problem.

So the question is, what do you all do for insurance for a vehicle which is registered and street legal? smile.gif
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
Are you trying to have the car covered for accident damage at the track or just driving there?

I've driven to hillclimb events, lapping days and autocross in my daily for several years and figured if I was in an accident on my way there it was regular insurance. If I stuffed it into a wall at the track it was on me. I'd say the most eye opening legal problem was several years ago at an autocross at Portland International Raceways parking lot and a guy guest driving a GT3 plowed into a couple competitors cars and cars that were just spectating. An article was written by an attorney about the event in a classic car magazine explaining the responsibility of all parties- I'll have to see if I can find it. It's good food for thought. Here is a thread covering it- I think J.P was there in person.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?...431-First-AutoX

We had a few bad hillclimb accidents last year (1 requiring a helicopter ride) so the daily was taken out of the mix while I build a track only car. I guess I'll have to sort if the insurance trailer coverage- covers what's inside or how that works for transporting the car to and from events.

Andrew
tomeric914
The VWVortex article referenced above was from 2007 which is just about the time when insurance companies closed the "track day" loophole in policies at least for NY.

I'm trying to guide my students into making sure that their vehicle is properly insured period. I talked with my agent for my vehicles which are not driven on the track and she stated that if the insurance company were to find out that a vehicle on a personal line of insurance was driven on a race track even if for only a DE event, that they would cancel the insurance. So the answer appears to be that it is impossible to insure a daily driver on personal line insurance and be able to drive it on the track.

HPDE insurance only accounts for vehicle and track damage, NOT liability which is why personal line insurance stays away.

The majority likely takes the risk that nothing will happen and if it does, will pay out of pocket.

I have a call into a motorsports specific insurance company to see if there are other options. No return call yet...

The alternative is as you say, to trailer the unlicensed vehicle to the track.
mepstein
I wonder what bob saville uses for Huey. It's a road car that he used to race and still does competitive events.
Granted, he's not in NY.
tomeric914
Exactly my thought, I was going to hit Bob up once I got more answers.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 8 2017, 03:59 PM) *

I wonder what bob saville uses for Huey. It's a road car that he used to race and still does competitive events.
Granted, he's not in NY.

carr914
When I has a Street/Track car, I had Collector Car Insurance on it for the street & "Track" Insurance from another company

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
Yep, no good here in NY.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 8 2017, 06:15 PM) *

When I has a Street/Track car, I had Collector Car Insurance on it for the street & "Track" Insurance from another company

Cracker
I highly doubt Bob purchases insurance that would legally cover either collision or liability on the track - it costs money. Several of my friends purchase insurance, per driver, per vehicle, by the weekend - costs vary greatly with the replacement cost of the vehicle. For a 997 Turbo, the cost is about $450 per weekend; for a 99 Corvette -$225.

I have always rolled the dice and taken the approach that if I cannot afford to lose it - don't crash it. Therefore, I leave "seconds" on the table because they are simply not worth it, given the loss if I totaled the car. Having said that...shit happens on the track - regardless of why or how - each owners car in track days are responsible for their own cars damage - even if someone loses their brakes and totals you!

Good luck.

Tony
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jun 10 2017, 07:44 AM) *

I have always rolled the dice and taken the approach that if I cannot afford to lose it - don't crash it. Therefore, I leave "seconds" on the table because they are simply not worth it, given the loss if I totaled the car. Having said that...shit happens on the track - regardless of why or how - each owners car in track days are responsible for their own cars damage - even if someone loses their brakes and totals you!

Good luck.

Tony

agree.gif
nolift914
NY does not have a Motorsports exception, so no insurance company in NY will insure a vehicle if you tell them it will be taken to the track. I have a autocross 914 the only insurance I am able to get is storage and trailer insurance
sixaddict
Not sure this works for others but here is my "deal"
Car is licensed for Street (in SC so very friendly) and I carry full coverage with SF..... But it is very "modified"
I also use Lockton for HPDE. ..... Important as driver education is critical phrase
Once you go on the clock or side by side forget getting insurance

Coverage is about 260 with 10% deductible for almost 40k coverage

Six pack (events)of coverage usable for a year is even a bit less

It's called peace of mind

If Tony added his total investment he might buy it too dry.gif
But then again he leaves all those seconds on the table to protect his investment blink.gif

It's call risk aversion!

mepstein
I asked at the shop and they said they buy 2 policies for their dual purpose cars. One for the street and one for the track. Not always from the sale company.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.