Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front trunk springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
peteyd
I have looked into getting the front trunk springs manufactured.

I believe there are two different variants, but this is the sample that I gave the guy.

Click to view attachment

Edit: I just want to add, that powder coating these springs will amount to some tension loss. I dont know the science behind it, that is just what the spring manufacturer told me.

We would be looking at selling a set for $60.

Is this a product that would be of interest at this price point?

Pete
GeorgeRud
I think the gas strut conversion would be more desirable. How many folks have had their springs break or wear out?
peteyd
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 8 2017, 07:39 AM) *

I think the gas strut conversion would be more desirable. How many folks have had their springs break or wear out?

The springs do not break. They loose their tension. So most of our cars are on the last adjustment and the hood is still sagging.

Pete
brownaar
I'm in.
burton73
I have never had set sag or break but have wanted to refinish them.

For a guy doing a restoration the $50. Plus shipping is less that it would cost to blast and
Paint them.

My 76 original car has no sag and the springs up front are perfect even paint on them.

Bob B
walterolin
One set.
McMark
I'd take a set in hopes of making the hood sit higher.

I hate the gas strut conversion! Especially on the front. I really don't see the benefit compared to a stock spring/torsion setup.

AND

Gas struts definitely wear out faster than springs.
AZ914
I would be interested as well.
peteyd
Ok,

That is enough interest for me. I will give the go ahead to the manufacturer. Hopefully 4-6 weeks they should be ready.

Pete
Andyrew
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 8 2017, 12:21 PM) *

I hate the gas strut conversion! Especially on the front. I really don't see the benefit compared to a stock spring/torsion setup.

AND

I agree, Always liked the 914 springs in the front, and wish I had the ability to use the rear as well. Hood shocks seem to wear out after about 5 years.
porschetub
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jun 9 2017, 03:57 AM) *

The springs do not break. They loose their tension. So most of our cars are on the last adjustment and the hood is still sagging.

Pete

Yes they do,mine are on the last hole but I did notice they do tend to cut into the hole in the hinge which makes then loose even more tention,spring steel is very hard.
mepstein
I'll take a set.
Much easier than powdercoating the old ones!
cary
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jun 8 2017, 08:57 AM) *

Pete

What he said ...................
Every car that I've touched I've moved them to the last notch.
Steve
I would also be interested. My springs are on there last notch and the lid sags a bit, but not bad.
Mblizzard
I would do a set as well. Regardless of the gas strut option I think a 40'year life span fora spring is a bit beyond the design specs.
Rand
Fair enough if this is a dumb question, but Does paint or powdercoating work on springs which flex? (Compared to a metallurgic treatment like anodizing (I know, not alu min yum) or cadmium or whatever else...? How were original springs treated? They weren't painted, were they? Paint makes me think flakes are flying every time you open the hood.

Always learning.
Chris914n6
I think $50/pr is a good price point.

All the cars I've had, had the spring in the 2nd slot. I moved mine to the third, which has been holding the hood open with a shop light on the end for over a month now yellowsleep[1].gif

Half of them had been painted when the car was painted so they look like crap, so that's a good motivation even if they are still functional.

My CAMP914 trunk struts are still solid and it's been close to 15 years first.gif But then the rear SUV glass struts (Sachs) are fading at just a year for a second time. Hatch struts are fine 10 years later, can't explain it confused24.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 8 2017, 03:21 PM) *

AND

agree.gif

Also the shocks don't provide the safety of the hood dropping when partially open.

I'm on my 2nd set of shocks and the 2nd set is worn out. I still need to keep a length of 2x2 in the trunk to hold it up when fueling or just when the hood is open.

I'm in for a set of springs.
StratPlayer
In for a set....
914dave
I'll take a set.
funk
a set for me to please. Can't pay till july? I hope that's OK
ValcoOscar
I'm in as well...
piratenanner.gif
orthobiz
I would like a set. But the spring rate is important...A few of years ago I was at Brad Mayeur's with severely sagging springs. He took a bunch of springs he had on hand and kept replacing mine until we had a pair that held the hood up in the third (last) notch.

So, I don't know what original spec is, but if the supplied spring you gave did not match the original you could wind up (hey, a spring term!) with a sagging replacement spring.

Otherwise, I'm in for two pairs! Great idea!

Paul
Jasfsmith
I'm in for two sets.

James Smith
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 8 2017, 03:21 PM) *

AND

agree.gif

I've been hit in the head too many times because of failing gas struts.
IMPO on the rear trunk of a 914 they are in the way.

I'll have to look at mine, not a big deal but I know it doesn't open the last inch or so.

live free & drive
I'd be I for a set as well.
914-300Hemi
I'm in a for a set.
peteyd
I put in a PO for the springs. They will give me a sample set, then I will test fit them. If the spring rate is correct I will give the go ahead. 4 weeks out, so when they are ready I will update this thread with pictures.

Pete
rmdinmd
I would be interested in a set as well.
maf914
I am in for a pair if this happens. Thanks, Pete.
914Sixer
Never pulled a set of springs off any car that I could use for replacements. A very needed product.
23e Heure
Yes please for one set! (If you would be willing to ship to UK).
Kansas 914
I am in for at least one set.
peteyd
The springs are ready.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP336S

Click to view attachment

Mblizzard
Ordered!

Now I can get it fully up!
bandjoey
Can you make a new body for say, $10k? biggrin.gif
peteyd
Here is a little video on instagram of the springs in action.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXQKR92AVKr/?ta...sign1&hl=en
Morrie
I looked at the instagram video and can't tell what hook you have the springs on. Ideally it would be on the lightest tension (closest to dash) or close to it so if they do wear with time there is some adjustment?
peteyd
QUOTE(Morrie @ Aug 1 2017, 11:20 AM) *

I looked at the instagram video and can't tell what hook you have the springs on. Ideally it would be on the lightest tension (closest to dash) or close to it so if they do wear with time there is some adjustment?

The springs in the video are in the middle position. I had them on the lightest tension and they held up the hood, but they didnt "pop" the hood up like the middle position did.

These springs will have to go through another couple thousand expansions to loose the spring rate. This is what the spring manufacturer told me.

Pete
Ed_Turbo
Anyone know a good tool to stretch and place these springs? Maybe like a coil spring compressor just use it in reverse?
peteyd
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 1 2017, 11:54 AM) *

Anyone know a good tool to stretch and place these springs? Maybe like a coil spring compressor just use it in reverse?

You can easily do it with your hands.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 1 2017, 01:04 PM) *

I meant to stretch them out more. Mine is on notch #2 and thinking of going #3 for now.

bdstone914
I have always disliked the multiple notch adjustment of the springs. It would be nice to have a sliding plate with a single hook and threaded adjustment that allows tightening of the sagging springs. Could be adjusted softer for FB or CF hoods. My experience with powder coating springs is that the heat of the oven removes some temper and they sag worse.
bdstone914

I challenger you do show how that can be easily done by hand. I have seen a method using a lever against the strut tower as a fumcrum point that looked doable.
23e Heure
I'm in Europe, and I can't see them yet on the restoration-design Europe web store.

Peter: any idea when they will be available there?
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 1 2017, 11:12 PM) *

I challenger you do show how that can be easily done by hand. I have seen a method using a lever against the strut tower as a fumcrum point that looked doable.

Leather gloves, pull hard. I've done it plenty of times. But I also have a manual winch mounted on my wall that makes installing and removing very easy. I think it was $12 at harbor freight.
Mblizzard
Got mine today. Good looking kit.
larryM
exactly

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 8 2017, 06:27 PM) *

the shocks don't provide the safety of the hood dropping when partially open.

I'm on my 2nd set of shocks and the 2nd set is worn out. I still need to keep a length of 2x2 in the trunk to hold it up when fueling or just when the hood is open.

- i'm in for a set
Spoke
Just got mine. Now my trunk lid doesn't try to attack me when I'm refueling.
Michael N
Received the new springs this morning and installed. Easily done with my son holding trunk all the way open while I removed and installed the new springs by hand using leather gloves. Had to use the middle setting to get the balance right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.