Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914 world
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthwp
914 group, I am new to the 914 world but not to Porsche’s with well over 14 different 911 and 944’s over the years. I have just purchased a 73, 914 1.7 which has been sitting in a warehouse since 1995 when it had a fuel pump failure. It sat their until last week when I brought it home.

The car has 85K miles was purchased in Denver and never left the state. It is in pretty good shape for sitting that long.

My goal is to bring it back to life and present it to my daughter when she graduates collage Spring 2018.

This is a list of things I am thinking about and would like to start to get some options on what should be should not be done. First I am not planning to restore this to concourse level, but create a great running and looking 914 that she can take to Porsche track events and car and coffee outing she’s been attending with me over the years.

First: to rework the fuel system what’s the best direction, replace with a electric fuel pump – if so what’s the best set-up and system to deploy? Or go back to the old system and find a rebuilt pump.

Next Address the engine needs, I was able to bump start it and it turned over quickly and without any real issues. Is upgrading to the MSD ignition system with all of the supporting items that way to go or just remain stock? The car still has it fuel injection which I was going to keep due to living in Vail Co at 8500ft and down to Denver ay 5K ft. Figuring it was help with the elevation changes.

Then Brakes and suspension, what the right direction for performance and drive ability and what upgrades are beneficial?

I look forward to learning my way around this site and exchanging ideas with the team here. The more I am around this car the more I am really starting to get existed about this project.
tygaboy
Let me be the first to say welcome.png
and the requisite:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Andyrew
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Welcome and what a great graduation present that will make. Generally, we have to see pictures to help with suggestions/advice. Spending your evenings reading this site and the various resurrection/restoration threads will really give you an idea of the issues you should be aware and possibly need to address.

I believe the most important area is to identify any and all rust and determine of it is cosmetic or structural and address as needed.

Then I would look to the fuel system, fuel lines, fuel pump to make sure the original rubber bits and plastic tunnel lines have been replaced with metal. Have the gas tank boiled out and sealed too.

Mechanical isses re the engine and transaxle come next. Complete service and valve adjustment and all new filters and plugs, wires, cap, belt(s) etc.

Then complete brake system. Flush and likely rebuild all calipers and replace master cylinder.

Suspension and all that entails, rubber business, tie rods, shocks/struts, etc.

Then I would run through the electrical to make sure all the grounds are clean and tight. All the fuses are installed and correct. All the wires are in good order with no shirts. Personally, these cars have been worked on for 4.5 decades and I would remove any/all non-stock wiring and clean everything up. You would not believe the rats nests some of these cars come with.

Finally, cosmetic- basic dents and paint. New seals, and if needed a coat of paint.

Good luck and stay organized and deal with one project at a time or it can easily get out of control. Resurrecting these cars is a very slippery slope.....

Best wishes,
Michael beerchug.gif
napasteve
Welcome to 914World.

Regarding fuel system and pump, I would suggest replacing all rubber fuel lines and putting SS fuel lines for the tunnel. I installed SS lines from Tangerine Racing and they are a great vendor. Relocation of the fuel pump to behind the passenger seat firewall is also a good idea although some argue that moving the fuel pump to the front trunk is the way to go. Here is a thread where this is discussed:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=290001&hl=

Tom_T
welcome.png

And what a great way to bring your kids into the Porsche ownership world!

You might also want to check out these 914 sites as references too:

p914.com ( .net & .org)

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

914club.com

clubnarp.com

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
burton73
Welcome to 914 World. The people on here are some of the nicest people into Porsche.

They would go out of there way to answer any questions you have or come over to help you out for some food and beer. Or even send you a part you may need.

After you fix up this car you may find that you love them. I have hade a bunch of 911s and still have one but nothing is like a 914. Always a thrill to drive even to take right turns at a fast speed. Cheep thrills I think. Been screwing with them for 40 years.

Bob B

welcome.png
BeatNavy
Pretty much everything you need for fuel system upgrades / refurbishing at Tangerine right here, including a Bosch fuel pump to replace the old stock 3-port: http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm. Chris is very active here and supports his products well. Don't spend the money getting a rebuilt 3-port. It's not worth it (IMHO).

It'll be interesting to see how well the FI system has held up since it's been sitting. Some of us on the board here like the D-Jet system (even when it drives us a little crazy) and some absolutely hate it. If you have worked with FI before you'll figure it out.

welcome.png
Ed_Turbo
Welcome, I am in the same boat as you and same time rebuilding a 914.

How bad is the rust in that altitude?
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 8 2017, 12:22 PM) *

Chris is very active here and supports his products well.

It'll be interesting to see how well the FI system has held up since it's been sitting.

welcome.png

Any discounts? wink.gif

I am curious to know the FI system on my project as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthwp @ Jun 8 2017, 10:16 AM) *
First: to rework the fuel system what’s the best direction, replace with a electric fuel pump – if so what’s the best set-up and system to deploy? Or go back to the old system and find a rebuilt pump.

The stock FI pumps are electric. Rebuilds aren't readily available but the old 3 port pumps can be replaced with somewhat more modern 2 port pumps.

After sitting for so long, you really want to replace all the rubber fuel lines in the car!
That goes for the lines under the tank as well as the lines in the engine compartment. Make sure you get the correct FI hoses and hose clamps.
There are plenty of horror stories here about cars going up in flames.
icon8.gif

The stainless steel lines mentioned above are also a good investment as the original plastic lines that go through the center tunnel can get brittle.

With a little bit of work and maintenance, the stock 1.7L DJet will be a very reliable motor that is surprisingly peppy and responsive.
driving.gif
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Will be a very cool graduation gift.
Mblizzard
I have great respect for this. My god son will be getting my 914 as we have no children. Will be happy to help in any way to ensure that the love for these cars are passed on.

My god son was recently here and pointed to the 914 in the garage and said "that's my car "brought a tear to my eye.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.