Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why register VIN number?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Hi,
I have a friend that's the original owner of a 74 1.8. Is there any reason, advantage or benefit I should give him to allow me to register his VIN number on our forum? He's not a member here, and just takes the car to his mechanic for all maintenence work.
thanks
EdwardBlume

+ You support the 914 community
+ It's fun to see what else Porsche was making that week
+ It's a point of reference of value to prospective buyer (or for the heirs)
+ You get a sense of what is left of the collective 914s

- Your VIN is out there, but that shouldn't present a problem.

oakdalecurtis
Thanks Edward, wow, you are a long time member here! I was thinking more along the lines of value if the car were ever, heaven forbid, stolen. Would a VIN listing here have any potential usefulness in that situation?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jun 9 2017, 02:58 AM) *

+ You support the 914 community
+ It's fun to see what else Porsche was making that week
+ It's a point of reference of value to prospective buyer (or for the heirs)
+ You get a sense of what is left of the collective 914s

- Your VIN is out there, but that shouldn't present a problem.

agree.gif

It's our version of the "bird count" too. We are learning more about how many are still I operation and some history. In no way does the VIN database intrude on an owners personal information; the purpose is to count the cars we own or see.
db9146
Wait.....you can own a 914 and NOT be a member here?

914-300Hemi
wait someone with the same addiction as all of us doesn't want to part of this great community that makes us feel normal?
Chris H.
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 9 2017, 05:08 AM) *

Thanks Edward, wow, you are a long time member here! I was thinking more along the lines of value if the car were ever, heaven forbid, stolen. Would a VIN listing here have any potential usefulness in that situation?

It could POSSIBLY help with that, but that's more of a secondary perk. If a car was stolen, the owner could put out a 914World APB. Many watch for sale sites like Craigslist all across the US so we could keep an eye out for it. It's happened several times, many were recovered. Doubt it could hurt anything. No one here wants a car with any shadiness attached.

Mblizzard
I owned a 914 in college. I would love to have that car back. I am sure there are other stories like mine out there with people who might pay a premium to get back a car with special meaning. Just a thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.