Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Manifolds?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tbrown4x4
Sorry to muddy up the forum, but I was curious what these might be from. They were in the trunk of my first 914. Anyone know what they're off of?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
A 1.7 or 1.8 only.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 9 2017, 11:12 AM) *

A 1.7 or 1.8 only.

Will a third hole for a center stud make them suitable for a 2.0 ?
Tbrown4x4
I didn't think they came from a 914 at all. I was just wondering about their heritage.
SirAndy
The port openings where they mount to the head look too small even for a 1.7/1.8.
Might be a bus/bug/411 pair?

Either way, you would want the tall manifolds on a 914 to give you some more low end grunt ...
shades.gif
GeorgeRud
I know that type 4s in 914s did come with carbs (single barrel - though not for US), but I wonder if these fit some VW model?
rhodyguy
If they worked on t4 heads the outboard mounting studs would have to be super long.
porschetub
T4 bus
rhodyguy
The buses had double throated carbs?
porschetub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 10 2017, 07:53 AM) *

These are aftermarket,stock were twin single barrel 40mm Solexs.
These were shorter for use in the bus so the air cleaners cleared the top of the engine bay,I have a set but they don't have the thicker outer bosses as you noticed ?.
Tbrown4x4
Yea, kind of what I thought. They were too short to use, so probably end up in the recycle bin.

Thanks Guys!
bbrock
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 9 2017, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 10 2017, 07:53 AM) *

These are aftermarket,stock were twin single barrel 40mm Solexs

agree.gif

These look very similar to the manifolds I have that were purchased as a Weber 40 IDF kit from the old Automotion. But mine are for a 2.0
bbrock
Oh, and mine are taller. But the casting and flanges look very close which makes me think they may be from the same manufacturer.
Mueller
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jun 9 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Yea, kind of what I thought. They were too short to use, so probably end up in the recycle bin.

Thanks Guys!

I'd give you $20 shipped for them smile.gif
Mark Henry
They are type 4, old school, I've seen them before.
Likely they are short for 411/412 but they still wouldn't fit the hatch.

I've never used them but they have lot's of meat to port to size, drill a 3rd center hole and they will fit a 2.0 head.
Sell them to Mike, if he passes someone on the samba will buy them.
HAM Inc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 10 2017, 03:28 AM) *

I've never used them but they have lot's of meat to port to size, drill a 3rd center hole and they will fit a 2.0 head.

They're great for race engines. Not sure who made them but they were around in the 70's.

To use the 4 bolt version on 3 stud heads you have to drill a center hole and relocate the outer holes to a wider pattern as well since the 3 stud outers are spread out more than the 4 bolt outers. The 3 and 4 bolt patterns don't actually share any hole locations.

Those manifolds came in 3 & 4 stud versions. I used to have quite a stash of them.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jun 10 2017, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 10 2017, 03:28 AM) *

They're great for race engines. Not sure who made them but they were around in the 70's.

To use the 4 bolt version on 3 stud heads you have to drill a center hole and relocate the outer holes to a wider pattern as well since the 3 stud outers are spread out more than the 4 bolt outers. The 3 and 4 bolt patterns don't actually share any hole locations.

Those manifolds came in 3 & 4 stud versions. I used to have quite a stash of them.

Len, I thought it you who liked them for race engines, just wasn't sure.

Short for race, tall for street grunt, like everything there's no perfect combo between street and race, you have to decide between drivability and HP.
Many times I've seen guys do it wrong, looking for max HP for a car they'll primarily drive on the street. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.