Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hella Headlight advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All,

can anyone please confirm the correct H4 Hella headlight part number for use in the UK ? i.e. driving on the left. The PET doesn't show it just the porsche part number.

I've got sealed beam US units in mine and want to replace.

thanks

Chris.
SixerJ
Do you definitely want Hella?, I was thinking of getting a pair of Cibie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230545956036?_tr...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ConeDodger
These are H4 housings with an H4 and an LED bulb provided by 914Rubber.com. The LED are clearly brighter.
You may be going for originality? In which case good luck.
arne
In the U.K. He needs the H4 lens/reflectors that are for driving on the left. The asymmetrical low beam cutoff is flipped on lights for those locales. Not something we se here in the states. I suspect that the Hella part number for such light skin is eith one number higher or lower than for driving on the right.
Biggles
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 9 2017, 08:29 PM) *

In the U.K. He needs the H4 lens/reflectors that are for driving on the left. The asymmetrical low beam cutoff is flipped on lights for those locales. Not something we se here in the states. I suspect that the Hella part number for such light skin is eith one number higher or lower than for driving on the right.

correct that's what i'm looking for. Cibies might be an option Jon, just seen the Hellas as a popular option. Just couldn't find them for driving on the left.

porschetub
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 10 2017, 08:12 AM) *

correct that's what i'm looking for. Cibies might be an option Jon, just seen the Hellas as a popular option. Just couldn't find them for driving on the left.

I have them in my car,where is the number located,I could check for you if you like.
SixerJ
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 9 2017, 09:12 PM) *

Thinking about it I think my Irish donor shell (originally sold in Scotland) had one manky looking Hella and it's in a crate along with other random bits. I will dig it out and see what it says
Biggles
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jun 9 2017, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 9 2017, 09:12 PM) *

Thinking about it I think my Irish donor shell (originally sold in Scotland) had one manky looking Hella and it's in a crate along with other random bits. I will dig it out and see what it says

thanks guys, that would be great.
Dave_Darling
Should be a standard 7" headlight, same as the ones found on a 911. And many other cars of the era.

--DD
Chris914n6
I have the old Cibie and current Hella, beam patterns are practically the same.

I think if you buy in the UK you will get the right ones. You can also check the Hella website for a usually 5 digit part number.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 9 2017, 03:22 PM) *

These are H4 housings with an H4 and an LED bulb provided by 914Rubber.com. The LED are clearly brighter.

Brighter doesn't mean it throws light further.

Lots of tests on the net say they are brighter for close objects, but the LEDs are still not as good at throwing the light far down the road than good old halogens.
This is a sports car... I want lights that spot that deer 50 feet earlier.

LED's work well for all the other lights and you could always put LED's in your fog lights for closer objects.

If you want to upgrade I'd buy the high end halogens for headlights.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
GeorgeRud
The Danial Stern site is very informative and accurate. Remember to use ceramic connectors if you go with the 100 watt option. I'm also a fan of the regular H4 lamps, though even the halogen sealed beam lights are pretty good.

This from someone who has had the 'pleasure' of clipping a deer with my 914. They look pretty big from the driver's seat!
anderssj
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 9 2017, 02:33 PM) *

Hi All,

can anyone please confirm the correct H4 Hella headlight part number for use in the UK ? i.e. driving on the left. The PET doesn't show it just the porsche part number.

I've got sealed beam US units in mine and want to replace.

thanks

Chris.

Hi Chris,

The easiest way to see where an E-code light is to be used is to look at the line for the "cutoff rise" in the lens. For those that drive on the left (UK, Japan, Oz, etc) that cutoff line is at the 8 o'clock position. For rest of us, the line is around 4 o'clock. A couple of other tells: Cibie and Marchal both use a "TG" (for "traffic gauche") after the part number for lenses for left-hand traffic. Finally, lenses for left-hand traffic will usually have small arrows stamped into the front of the lens (usually under the "E2" or other qualifying E-code); they point to the side of the road you drive on.

I'll see if I can attach a couple of pictures . . . .

anderssj
Pictures of NOS Marchal H4 for left-hand traffic:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Every E-code light that's qualified for use in the UK, etc., should have these markings. If not, then it's time for the tape-on shield.

As to how I ended up with this light . . . . dry.gif

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
SixerJ
Here you go

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SixerJ
Click to view attachment

After taking these and looking at the beam cut off from the Marchal lamps im wondering if the are correct?
eitnurg
The "triangle" formed in the lens should be on the same side as the middle of the road: ie, for UK traffic, when driving on the left this area should be on the r/h side of the car.

Click to view attachment
anderssj
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jun 11 2017, 02:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

After taking these and looking at the beam cut off from the Marchal lamps im wondering if the are correct?

Those Hellas are probably not OK for the UK--but you could put bulb in one, hook it up to 12volts and shine it against a wall to make sure smile.gif
Biggles
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 9 2017, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 10 2017, 08:12 AM) *

I have them in my car,where is the number located,I could check for you if you like.

Hi - can you check for me please - and provide the headlight number. it'll be something like 111 60x xxx

All the Hella ones i see are for LHD and either without or with a side light hole. With a side light hole is obviously not correct for a 914.

thanks
Biggles
thanks Steve for your pictures - i understand the Left vs right cut-offs on the glass. Cibies might be the other option.

Chris.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.