Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic Lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi all,
Please share all of your tips & tricks on adjusting hyd. lifters with me.
I've read "initial contact + 1 full turn.
-------
Can't I just set them at .006" like solid lifters? cool_shades.gif
Thanx,
Cap'n Krusty
The official adjustment is 2 turns, but many engines with OE hyd lifters won't run at more than one turn. No, you can't use .006". They have to be into the functional range to work right, and .006" isn't in that range. You DO have the special pushrods and rocker assemblies, right? And the hydraulic cam? If you set them at .006", they'll clatter forever, and never quiet down. The Cap'n
d7n7master
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 12 2005, 12:30 PM)
The official adjustment is 2 turns, but many engines with OE hyd lifters won't run at more than one turn.  No, you can't use .006".  They have to be into the functional range to work right, and .006" isn't in that range.  You DO have the special pushrods and rocker assemblies, right?   And the hydraulic cam?  If you set them at .006", they'll clatter forever, and never quiet down.  The Cap'n

-----
I ordered a longblock from JCS in Irwindale with a Web 107i Hyd cam & p/n 00-914 hyd lifters. Push rods look to be about 1/2 the diameter of my stocker 2.0.
Rocker assy's have spacers instead of springs.
Anything else I need to know would be much appreciated.
-----

Cap'n Krusty
Just set 'em at one turn from 0 clearance. Gotta feel the 0 with your fingertips. Use my valve adjustment technique to make things easier. JCS is pretty good, overall....... The Cap'n
d7n7master
Will do. I'm goin' in...
Thanx Cap'n & all.
Gint
Sounds like you're on the right track. Krusty didn't even get too crusty. You can set them to .006, the motor will run, but it'll clack away. My first 914 had hydro lifters, but nobody knew it. When I was under it adjusting the valves I noticed while pushing on the pushrods they were "springy". Got them set correctly (I went for 1/2 turn because I didn't have the proper pushrods and other junk and didn't want to put to much pressure on the lifters and rocker arms) and it'll run snooth and quiet for a very long time.

That particualr 914 and it's motor is still on the road and being driven by the C.O. to this day. 1.8 with 96mm PC's (1911) and weber 40 IDF's. Runs great! Awesome torque even at the bottom end. I loved that car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.