Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wire from cross member to center tunnel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Hey guys, redoing my floor pans, rust repair. working counter clockwise, passenger side is done and primered, drivers side rear, ready for primer, but the single most irritating thing in the whole job is that stupid brown wire. It finds a way to get in the way of my grinder, my wire wheel, my welder, any other tool I use.

so the wire comes out of the crossmember under the drivers seat, and connects to something in the center tunnel. I'm hoping its a seatbelt warning, or some other stupid thing.

I would love to get rid of the danged thing, but of course, I need to know what it is for, before I sacrifice it to the efficiency gods!

somebody give me the go-ahead please, I'm standing by with wire cutters in hand!
Keith914
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jun 9 2017, 04:56 PM) *

Hey guys, redoing my floor pans, rust repair. working counter clockwise, passenger side is done and primered, drivers side rear, ready for primer, but the single most irritating thing in the whole job is that stupid brown wire. It finds a way to get in the way of my grinder, my wire wheel, my welder, any other tool I use.

so the wire comes out of the crossmember under the drivers seat, and connects to something in the center tunnel. I'm hoping its a seatbelt warning, or some other stupid thing.

I would love to get rid of the danged thing, but of course, I need to know what it is for, before I sacrifice it to the efficiency gods!

somebody give me the go-ahead please, I'm standing by with wire cutters in hand!

Could be hand brake warning light - what color is the wire?
arne
Brown wires are typically grounds in German cars.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jun 9 2017, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jun 9 2017, 04:56 PM) *

it is brown, has a bayonett connector in the middle of the wire
Chris914n6
Duct tape.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jun 9 2017, 05:31 PM) *
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Jun 9 2017, 05:12 PM) *
it is brown, has a bayonett connector in the middle of the wire

Sound like the hand brake light, the wire goes from a switch on the cross member to the main wire loom in the center tunnel and then up to the gauge cluster.

Don't cut it ...
shades.gif
IronHillRestorations
What Andy said.

Just because you don't know what it's for doesn't mean its OK to cut it. When in doubt tape it up and put it out of the way.
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 11 2017, 07:03 AM) *

What Andy said.

Just because you don't know what it's for doesn't mean its OK to cut it. When in doubt tape it up and put it out of the way.

agree.gif ,have several unused and let them be ,taped off or hearshrink is better,needed a spare ''key on'' feed and found one and wired it up for my handbrake warning buzzer......proves they can be useful eh biggrin.gif .
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 10 2017, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 11 2017, 07:03 AM) *

What Andy said.

agree.gif ,have several unused and let them be ,taped off or hearshrink is better,needed a spare ''key on'' feed and found one and wired it up for my handbrake warning buzzer......proves they can be useful eh biggrin.gif .

right guys, its just such a pain in the butt , having to move it, hold it out of the way etc, as I work my way around grinding and welding and wire wheeling, dang thing seems to automatically end up exactly where I want to work.

I'll work around it, thanks for talking me off the ledge
SirAndy
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jun 10 2017, 04:45 PM) *
right guys, its just such a pain in the butt , having to move it, hold it out of the way etc, as I work my way around grinding and welding and wire wheeling, dang thing seems to automatically end up exactly where I want to work.
I'll work around it, thanks for talking me off the ledge

Just tape up the end, roll it up and stash it inside the center tunnel for now ...
smash.gif
Front yard mechanic
Just wrap a piece of tape on the end laugh.gif Click to view attachment
McMark
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Jun 10 2017, 07:45 PM) *

hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif

Might I suggest a different approach...
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.