Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Issue and Cool Cars & Coffee Pic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
My horn seems possessed! Today on my way to cars and coffee it started beeping incontrollably on sharp right hand turns or over bumps. I have no reference to "norm" but it seems that the horn mechanism isn't attached super tightly to the steering wheel? Should it be fairly loose to wiggle, or is there a way I need to tighten it? It's the original set up in a 1974 2.0.

Also, check out these pics of my 914 and my 911S next to Graham Rahal's 918. That 918 was super sexy. First green one I have seen.
76-914
It should not be loose. Most likely the source of your problem. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Your horn sounds when it grounds. The wire is contacting something on right hand turns...

Or it's possessed. In which case, you need to bring it to my house and I will perform an exorcism over the next several years. I know that sounds extreme but these things aren't easy... unsure.gif
Mueller
Great pics, I like the green 918, however when I 1st saw it , Lotus popped up in my brain!
Dave_Darling
There's a wire coming up through the center of the steering column. It has probably gotten unplugged from the ring on the back of the horn pad, or the tab on the pad has broken off.

You can cut a piece of metal into a new tab and braze or solder it onto the old ring, if the tab has broken off.

--DD
TM_Corey
Thanks guys. I'll figure out how to get it off and check the wore and tab.

Interesting fact on the viper green 918, I read one article that said it is 1 of 1 in the US in that color, but then I saw an add for a viper green one with an asking price of $1.9M....holy sheet. drooley.gif
TM_Corey
I popped off the horn button and the wire was disconnected and folded over. Was getting dark and I wanted to drive, so I'll try and hook it all back up tomorrow in the day light.

Important thing is that I got in a great late evening "honkless" drive!!!
piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.