Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: <<SOLD>>ATE 17mm Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit, new
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jvmarino
Recently was cleaning out my garage and came across this unused rebuild kit for the ATE 17mm MC. Never thought about it in all these years, but found that they are NLA and it probably has some worth. I have it listed on eBay for $100 (to give it as much exposure as possible), but would sell it to a 914World member for $90 (includes shipping CONUS). No idea if my pricing is crazy or not, as there is no recent history of one of these being sold, but it seems to be an unobtanium item, and with new MC costing around $300, thought it was a good price to choose.

The pictures are below and also on the eBay link below, and you will see that I had installed the seals on the pistons as I was ready to install, but then found the previous owner of my car had put in a 19MM MC, so I had to get a different rebuild kit. This one went on the shelf and hasn't been touched since.

Link to eBay Listing
euro911
The subject of ATE M/C rebuild kits has been discussed on several forums.

Not exactly sure why M/C rebuild kits aren't available any more ... but I'm guessing that due to a law suit where someone improperly rebuilt one and was involved in a fatal accident - lawyers went after ATE as well confused24.gif

I used to rebuild Porsche single-circuit M/Cs, also VW and BMW dual-circuit M/Cs up into the 80's. Bores needed to be honed and all components thoroughly cleaned with alcohol prior to replacing the rubber cups and reassembly.

Of course, one can still purchase rebuild kits for calipers and slave cylinders, but it has been said that a M/C could be a single point of total failure, whereas individual calipers and slave cylinders being on different circuits isn't as severe of an issue.
forrestkhaag
good point / never rely on one saving grace...
jvmarino
From what I can see the 19mm rebuild kits are plenty available. Just look up the part number 901 355 930 00, and there are plenty for sale from both Porsche dealerships and parts suppliers. I am not urging anyone to perform a rebuild on a totally shot MC, but just offering this kit for sale.
euro911
Interesting ...
bdstone914
QUOTE(jvmarino @ Jun 10 2017, 06:22 PM) *

From what I can see the 19mm rebuild kits are plenty available. Just look up the part number 901 355 930 00, and there are plenty for sale from both Porsche dealerships and parts suppliers. I am not urging anyone to perform a rebuild on a totally shot MC, but just offering this kit for sale.

Where did you find them actually available? I spoke we the folks at ATE years ago and they discontinued selling naster cylinder kits. Often the cylinder is pitted or worn and a cylinder kit will not fix it. Better gor a mechanic to install a new cylinder. If they install a tebuilt one that does not work they have a lot of lost labor.
pilothyer
I have seen several places that say in stock, available, but for $100.00 is it really worth it ?
BillC
If anyone is interested, I have an NOS 17mm master cylinder with bad seals (seals went bad just sitting on the shelf for so long). The bore is spotless. Combine it with this kit and have basically a brand-new master cylinder. I'd like $50 plus shipping.
jvmarino
Item is sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.