Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AN Hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I had forgotten what a pain it is to work with braided SS hoses. Looks awesome but what a bitch to work with.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Get or borrow a set of Koul Tools. Basically they are a small plastic funnel that you use to push the hose onto the fittings. They make it really easy with minimal to no punctures in your fingers.
mepstein
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 10 2017, 09:19 PM) *

Get or borrow a set of Koul Tools. Basically they are a small plastic funnel that you use to push the hose onto the fittings. They make it really easy with minimal to no punctures in your fingers.

agree.gif big time! I bought a set and showed them to Russo who has done hundreds on race car builds (962 crew chief). He thought they were fantastic.
I was about to order them from amazon but noticed they were sold by verocious motor sports, just 15 minutes up the road. The guys there said they sell a ton of them.
Mblizzard
I would have purchased these many years ago if only I had know! headbang.gif

Great info I did not know these were available.
mepstein
Russo said the problem with using these is I will never have the pleasure of pushing stainless steel wire into my fingertips.
Larmo63
Even using the Koul clamps, building AN lines still can be tricky and injurous.

I'm glad I happened to see the 10-12-16 AN set and bought them. The vice jaws are a must also.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 11 2017, 03:14 PM) *

Even using the Koul clamps, building AN lines still can be tricky and injurous.

I'm glad I happened to see the 10-12-16 AN set and bought them. The vice jaws are a must also.

I went metric cause OP supplied most fitting and hoses ready to go ,bounced between elephant racing and Stoddard for fittings...an expensive mish @ the end Chuck give great service on the right hose.
Don't really know if AN is a big saving because of adaptors ..maybe that's just me but don't like mixing parts on a metric car.
S/S lines aren't required IMO so really don't use them as they have no real value in this application.
VaccaRabite
I don't know how you are cutting the hose, but I found that a sharp hardened hose cutter DRAMATICALLY reduces the frustration and finger punctures that normally goes with putting AN hoses together. They do look really good once together.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 13 2017, 12:57 PM) *

I don't know how you are cutting the hose, but I found that a sharp hardened hose cutter DRAMATICALLY reduces the frustration and finger punctures that normally goes with putting AN hoses together. They do look really good once together.

Zach

3' pneumatic tool with a thin cutting wheel. Wrap hose in tape. Takes 10 seconds. We just leave the wheel on the tool all the time so it's always ready and available.

The nice thing about the koul tool is you can even use a hose with a frayed end. I just shove it in the tool with a little lube and the hose slides right into the fitting. It makes a novice like me, look like a pro.

I had Ben build my tank with metric threads but ended up getting adapters to go A/N. it's so much easier than metric. The fittings are available everywhere and in every different style possible.

The next car I do will have black fittings. I'm not a fan of the blue and red. I didn't know black was an option when I ordered what I have now.
Andyrew
I had to use them for my fuel lines due to E85.. I agree.. PITA.

I spent the extra money on black fittings and black lines for my setup. Much prefer it.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 13 2017, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 13 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Zach

3' pneumatic tool with a thin cutting wheel. Wrap hose in tape. Takes 10 seconds. We just leave the wheel on the tool all the time so it's always ready and available.

The nice thing about the koul tool is you can even use a hose with a frayed end. I just shove it in the tool with a little lube and the hose slides right into the fitting. It makes a novice like me, look like a pro.

I had Ben build my tank with metric threads but ended up getting adapters to go A/N. it's so much easier than metric. The fittings are available everywhere and in every different style possible.

The next car I do will have black fittings. I'm not a fan of the blue and red. I didn't know black was an option when I ordered what I have now.

Agree on the cut off wheel! Also I found that GOOD duct tape is a must to use on the cut area. The tighter you can pull it the better.

May come back and do other fuel lines with the SS but I will need a few years so I can forget the punctured fingers!
Andyrew
I used painters tape wrapped about 10 times then cut it with a cutoff wheel

Cut came out clean, but it didnt matter as the plastic inner (E85 gas line) required me to pull the stainless outer back about 3" then snip off about 1" of it... Huge PITA..
patssle
Major PITA. It's not just the inserting into the connector but the cutting and the tightening. The entire process sucks!
PanelBilly
I took mine to an industrial hose dealer who cut them to the right length and put the ends on for a couple of bucks.
SirAndy
That's why i use the blue rubber lines that have the metal reinforcement mesh inside the rubber.

Sooooo much easier to deal with ...
shades.gif
Larmo63
I don't know, after the first few hoses, I thought they were pretty fun to assemble. Like a big jigsaw puzzle. I use a cut-off wheel and don't even bother with tape. Just buzz right through them.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 13 2017, 09:10 PM) *

I don't know, after the first few hoses, I thought they were pretty fun to assemble. Like a big jigsaw puzzle. I use a cut-off wheel and don't even bother with tape. Just buzz right through them.

Click to view attachment

There's a guy who likes sleeping on a bed of nails for sure!

I agree practice makes it less painful but when you have not done it in a few years you have to repay the price for the experience you lost.
restore2seater
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2017, 02:34 PM) *

That's why i use the "blue rubber lines" that have the metal reinforcement mesh inside the rubber.

Sooooo much easier to deal with ...
shades.gif

What type of hose are you referring to Andy?
Dave_Darling
I believe he means something like this:

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/compact-h...raulic-hose-436

--DD
SKL1
Just made my own lines for an external oil cooler using the Koul tool- used a Dremel to cut the lines. That tool made it a piece of cake. Lot less hassle than I thought it would be, and they look great, and don't leak!!Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.