Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what insurance are you using
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
what kind of insurance do you club members use. standard liablity and comprehensive. or collector car insurance like hagerty or other.

and what are the rates for both?
tracks914
Here is what I use.
$170 a year for full coverage.
Silver Wheels
They may have a USA branch!!
skline
I am with State Farm and have been for years, the rate on my 914 is about $475. for full coverage for one year. When I change cars, I just call them up and tell them the numbers.
messix
i just signed up with hagerty for $90 a year with $6,000 agreed value.
wilchek
I have the same provider as my regular insurance. However, there is a little know policy change that you can put your car up on blocks for 3 months and the insurance is about half the price. I pay around 200 for full coverage. The car has to be parked for December, Jan and Feb (or any three months I choose). Which is fine for me as it is cold and snowy in Pennsylvania during those months and I do all my repairs and upgrades during that time. I have no restrictions and can drive any time day or night. I know some of the collectors car insurance had a 3000 mile restriction per year. Not enough for me. I hate feeling like I have to watch the odmeter all of the time.
carr914
I use Condon & Skelly (Metropolitan Property) For my 914-6 conversion and my 74 Carrera. Full coverage on both, total agreed value of $45,000 for $410 a year total.
T.C.
tat2dphreak
Hagerty is cheap, but you aren't *supposed* to drive it often... to and from shows/events... BUT it's not like they would know if you drove it daily... AND you have to prove that you have another car insured with someone else(State Fram, etc...), and you have to send them pics of the car, the garage, etc...

if you want to drive it Daily or even 2-3+ times a week on average... go ahead and pay the extra for a regular insurance...

myself... I use hagerty, but I may only drive my car to work 1-2 times a week 2-3 months out of the year... and weekend treks... so limited milage is fine... and right now, since it's still being restored... I'm not using any of the miles... I just have it b/c it was $150/year I went with 15k value... why not go with enough value to replace it with a /6 conversion if I have to wink.gif
redshift
Smith & Wesson.

If someone steals my car, I will shoot them. If someone hits my car, I will shoot them.

If I bump into an SUV in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot, and they try to say anything to me... I will shoot them..

I shot a man once just for snoring.

M
914rrr
We have 2 drivers in the household and only 1 car that is 10 years old or newer (1997 Passat TDI), besides the 73 2.0. The problem is, NOBODY will sell us a collector car policy without us BOTH having a newer car. If somebody knows of anyone who will, you would be my HERO!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

I got a quote from Progressive and they would write a stated value policy on the 2.0 as a commuter car. The rub is, in the case of a total loss, they will pay the LOWER of the 2, stated value or value of the car according to NADA book for older cars. I'd be willing to bet most all the insurance companies have the exact same fine print. NADA says that an "excellent" 914 is worth around $5000, but a VW Thing, same condition, is worth over $10000. Go figure. You might want to check with your agent to make sure you're really covered for as much as you think.

Anybody have any claims experience with Geico on a 914 , (or other older car) for claims? I have Geico now, they're cheap, but I'm really concerned if my older cars (73 914 and 81 VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup) were stolen or totaled I'd get hosed. I have tried for YEARS to get a straight answer from them on how they value older/collector cars with no success. headbang.gif
Carlitos Way
I got my policy from Mark Moody(member here). Hooked me up nicely. I have both of my cars and renter's insurance throgh him. Look him up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.