Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the Bumper Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I installed my 914 front bumper top two months ago but just now got around to "taming" the ends. Darren C covered this in his build thread( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47250&st=60 day 164)but did not provide much detail. Anyway, here are a few pic's of mine being tamed. In this first pic you can see how the ends look once the bumper top is secured to the bumper. And yes, I know my bumper is dirty. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Notice how I center punch a wee bit inboard of center. This was to give myself a bit more room to turn the screwdriver from inside the bumper. If the hole is too close to the bumper (the place where bumper & rubber meet) you will play Hell turning the screw with a screw driver.

Click to view attachment

This is where I varied from Darren's method. Rather than remove the rubber top I simply maneuvered it to one side whilst drilling.

Click to view attachment

Once the bumper is drilled, pull and hold the rubber end in place then using the hole in the bumper as a guide, insert a "push pin" into the rubber. This will mark the spot you'll need to drill the rubber.

Click to view attachment

Drill out the rubber paying close attention to the angle of the hole. You don't want to pop out the side of the bumper top.

Click to view attachment

You can see why I drilled a bit off center as you need all the room you can get to tighten the screw.

Click to view attachment

With the screw tightened the edge pulls in quite nicely.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Steve
Nice job!!! Looks great!! I have the same issue with my 914 rubber bumper tops. Would the bumper top spacers help? Why don't the factory ones have this issue?
I hate to jury rig my car or drills hole in it, just because some after market part doesn't fit right.
rhodyguy
You need to treat the rust on the back of your bumper(s) kent.
mepstein
If you are going to go that direction, I would bond a small stud in the rubber top and then you could tighten down into the bumper with a washer and nut. Sort of a small version of how it fits on top of the bumper.
76-914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 11 2017, 12:49 PM) *

Nice job!!! Looks great!! I have the same issue with my 914 rubber bumper tops. Would the bumper top spacers help? Why don't the factory ones have this issue?
I hate to jury rig my car or drills hole in it, just because some after market part doesn't fit right.

I hear you Steve. You'd need an OEM one for your 914. For mine and most other's the 914 top is fantastic and I'm glad to have it. I'm sure 914rubber will address the shrinkage issue in the future. Besides, I could never complain given the group buy price. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 12 2017, 07:46 AM) *

You need to treat the rust on the back of your bumper(s) kent.

Yes, your correct Kev. It isn't as bad as it appears. You know how the flash amplifies the rust condition. How's everything? beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 12 2017, 08:00 AM) *

If you are going to go that direction, I would bond a small stud in the rubber top and then you could tighten down into the bumper with a washer and nut. Sort of a small version of how it fits on top of the bumper.

That sounds like a lot of work! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.