Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-Something funny going on (Virus)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
I received a email this morning from: techsupport@por15.com

with the following message body: 914world.com Classifieds: You have a question reguarding your ad #546

There was no question, just two attached files. A "sample.exe" file (923KB) and "ATT00430.txt" (0 bytes)

I did have an ad running, but it's been off the boards for about 3 weeks and never had anyone ask a question about the ad. I have never asked por15 for any tech support.

Anyone else receive this virus/spam? And any ideas how my email was harvested to send this virus/spam?

I didn't open it. I never open attachments from people I don't know and if I do get one from someone I do know I make sure it's not a virus first.

Virus builders can bootyshake.gif finger.gif
StratPlayer
Scan those exes with your virus program and see if their infected
Frank Marino
Several possibilities.

1. Not a virus. (Most likely, since its from por15.com and everyone on this forum has read/inquired/used por15 at some point smile.gif )
2. Is a virus, and the jerk was able to disguise his email address. (possible, but I don't know how one would do it )
3. Its a virus that moves through email without prompting the user (sends itself to others via your contact list without your consent) (unlikely).

Scan it. Most of the viruses out there won't do actual harm to data and can be quarinteened easily. Removal is another story, so if your unsure, don't open it smile.gif.

Ways to get email addresses: crack a site, buy a cracked list, buy a legit list, and several others. You stated you had an add placed a few weeks ago in which you would most likely have had to enter your email for contact. That's probably where they got it. Either viewing the add or an admin gathered a random list of emails in adds one day.

GL,

Frank
SirAndy
QUOTE(Frank Marino @ Jul 2 2003, 11:03 AM)
1. Not a virus. (Most likely, since its from por15.com and everyone on this forum has read/inquired/used por15 at some point smile.gif )

2. Is a virus, and the jerk was able to disguise his email address. (possible, but I don't know how one would do it )

3. Its a virus that moves through email without prompting the user (sends itself to others via your contact list without your consent) (unlikely).

it's way to easy to fake a email address.
you have control over what the receipient will see as your (the originators) email address.
every email client allows you to do that.
i can send you a email with outlook that tells you it was from J.Bush@thewhitehouse.com ...

no problem at all.

EXE attachments are ALWAYS bad, i can't think of anything the POR-15 guys could possibly want to send you OR ask about your ad. doesn't make sense.

delete it.

OR, forward it to me and i'll get that little bastards ass for ya ...

hehe,
Andy
garyh
Listen to Andy.

There is a virus that parses the mail records of Outlook Express to make itself look like a -real- email.

There are a lot of "Computer non-gurus" on this list. Hey, it's a -car- list.

I have gotten several (many?) emails just like that; forged to heck to make it look like it came from a list member.

In all cases, it was a -nasty- virus. One that can very definately cause "bad things" to happen.

Delete it. Now.
GWN7
I deleated it as I posted the topic. Should have saved it and turned Andy loose on them. smile.gif (next time)

I know from past experence that .exe files are bad news.

Just once I'd like to catch a virus writing POS, see how he'd like to have both hands in casts for a couple months. That way he could find out who his true friends are when he needs someone to wipe his butt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.