Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After market AC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redraptor
Guys, I'm taking the car apart and it has after market AC. Anyone have any pointers for removing the under dash unit? From what I can tell it is a VPC Evap unit.

Im not sure I want to just flat out remove the system or try to restore it with the rest of the car since there are all sorts of holes cut through the sheet metal because of it. Either way I dont want to damage anything removing the system. Thanks in advance.
Steve
Do a search on google. You should be able to find the PDF for the installation. This will tell you how to install it. Just reverse the instructions. Most of this stuff is 40 year old rusted broken junk. If you want AC, there are companies that can retrofit what you have with more up to date equipment. For instance the stock compressor sucks HP. An aftermarket new compressor draws a lot less HP and provides better cooling.
iankarr
Is the system currently charged? If so, you'll need to have that cooling gas recovered by a licensed shop. Releasing gas into the atmosphere is a big no-no which can also carry a stiff fine. Well...at least A/C gas wink.gif.

Once the system is no longer pressurized, disconnect the tubing under the evaporator, then loosen the bolts holding the evaporator to the dash. On DPD systems, the bolts holding the knee pad do double-duty...and I assume the same is true of VPC. Good luck!
Chris914n6
Aftermarket Evaporators are still tube-and-fin. You can just clean the VPC and use it.
The hoses, if original, are dead. AC hose is much better now anyways. Keep them for the lengths to make replacements easier to fab.
The Comp is worth the trouble to swap to a Sanden like the Hotrods use - much more efficient.

yellow75
I'm in the process of removing the dealer installed system on mine. I pulled the dash unit last week. Just cut the hoses but be sure the system isn't charged before you do it. I have a new trunk floor to put in after that is out. The problem is in the engine compartment. you will have to replace the right side top cooling tin as they cut it to install the compressor. Im pulling my motor this winter and I will deal with that later. Here is a link to the installation book.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man09.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.