Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I lower the back end of my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
I just had new 140#springs put on my car and it sits higher than it did before. I'm told it is because my old springs were sagging when compared to the new ones. I have KYB gas adjust shocks on it. Any one have any ideas on what it takes to get the back end down to reasonable height? I was told to cut the springs but I would hate to do that to a brand new pair. Seems sorta like a half-assed way to fix the problem.

You can see how it sits if you go to my blog.
SLITS
Looks like new shocks with adjustable spring perch...or cut the springs....generally, the 140 lb springs are a shorter coil and drop the ass 1" or so over stock.
Mueller
nice looking car...the front needs to be lowered just as bad as the rear smile.gif

Ron is correct, about the only reasonable method is replace the shocks or modify the springs(not recommened)....

The KYB's can be converted to adjustible coil-overs, however if you have to pay someone to do them, then there will be no cost savings.

Mike D.
You could try adding a dead body to the trunk... laugh.gif
I know...no help at all beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
Michael,

I just took a peek at your blog and photos of your car, very nice! Adjustable perches with springs run around $250 (www.paragon-products.com), the springs are included and replacements in other sizes are pretty cheap ($60). They have them for Bilsteins and Koni shocks, I am not sure about the KYB's - that will depend on if the lower perches can be removed and the diameter of the shock body. I have koni sports and the adjustable perches, I love them.

MoveQik
Damn it all! One thing always leads to another. I finally get my car back on the road after two years of being torn apart. My car sits just fine but I think "Maybe I'll stiffen up the rear a little since the front is handling so well with the new sway bar"

Easy enough, just buy springs that are more firm. But NOOoooOOOOooOOoooo. Now I gotta get new shocks. This is getting difficult to justify to my wife!

I can already see it coming. I'll get the rear where I want it but the only way to get the front down will be to buy stiffer torsion bars. And once it gets handling so well, I'll have to buy better tires. Then the brakes will be the weak link...911 vented roters perhaps? Of course that means a 5-lug conversion. While I'm at it, I might as well go wide with the rims....uh oh, I think I hear rumors of flared fenders! Now the cars looks like a rocket but it is still a stock 1.8 liter. Perhaps a 6 conversion? Yeah, thats it!

I quit.

For sale: 1975 1.8 pre-runner looking 914.
URY914
sawzall-smiley.gif

'nuff said.

P
xsboost90
get some adjustable rear shocks...much easier to reverse.
bd1308
you all are wrong, go over to home depot and buy 10 bags of cement....put it in the back and BINGO....lowered rear end
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 12 2005, 07:07 PM)
you all are wrong, go over to home depot and buy 10 bags of cement....put it in the back and BINGO....lowered rear end

agree.gif You are all wrong, drop in a V8 and it will sit just right.

Kidding aside, you can adjust the upper spring plate, up as far as you can, leaving enough threads, to get the nut on the top side.

With it adjusted like that the spring will flop around, while its out of the car, but mounted, it's fine. Make sure the spring ends are positioned so when you lower the car, there in the correct position in the plates.

If's thats's still not enough? You can trim, the rubber gromets, and adjust the plate, as before, leaving enough thread to get the nut on top. You should be able to lower it this way, over an inch.

Looked at your car, very NICE

To get a square peg in a round hole, drive over it with a 914. smash.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 12 2005, 06:55 PM)
Damn it all! One thing always leads to another. I finally get my car back on the road after two years of being torn apart. My car sits just fine but I think "Maybe I'll stiffen up the rear a little since the front is handling so well with the new sway bar"

Easy enough, just buy springs that are more firm. But NOOoooOOOOooOOoooo. Now I gotta get new shocks. This is getting difficult to justify to my wife!

I can already see it coming. I'll get the rear where I want it but the only way to get the front down will be to buy stiffer torsion bars. And once it gets handling so well, I'll have to buy better tires. Then the brakes will be the weak link...911 vented roters perhaps? Of course that means a 5-lug conversion. While I'm at it, I might as well go wide with the rims....uh oh, I think I hear rumors of flared fenders! Now the cars looks like a rocket but it is still a stock 1.8 liter. Perhaps a 6 conversion? Yeah, thats it!

I quit.

Are you related to Dirk Wright perchance? biggrin.gif

Or so, if you wanted a car to just drive and not work on you would have bought a Kia. laugh.gif
TravisNeff
Do the KYB shocks have adjustments (for the circlips) like the Koni's do?
Borderline
What brand springs did you buy? I picked up some weltmeister 140# from ebay and finally got them installed and the rear is still taller than I would like. The springs have a change in pitch as the coils were wound. It appears that the top 3 coils (with the close spacing) go solid when the car is sitting on the ground. My belief is that those coils were placed there to keep the springs from hanging loose when the car is jacked up but do not efect the spring rate when the car is on the ground. If I'm correct...???? then one or two of those coils could be removed without changing the final spring rate. The ride height would be reduced by the diameter of the spring wire. The problem would then be that when you jack up the car the spring would rattle loose. If all the coils on the spring have the same spacing then this wouldn't work. any comments???? anyone?
TravisNeff
You zip tie the springs to the upper perches and that solves the problem.
SLITS
If you cut them, you can snap tie the coil to the lower spring perch. They will reseat correctly. This is done with racing springs that are shorter than stock.

KYB (Kill Your Back) shocks, being gas charged, will always be in the full extended position, whereas others that just dampen the rebound (Konis) will sit lower as they have minimal resistance on compression and the spring will take more of the weight of the car.

or

In lieu of all this, get over it and raise the front end.
dlo914
the best and simplest method would be to purchase some adjustable shocks (bilsteins have 5 IIRC height settings). they're available on the forum's ecomm store for about $250. The same situation occured when i installed some 140lb weltmeister springs, and now the front and back sit level.
anthony
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 12 2005, 07:55 PM)

That's about the sequence of events! It's a shame though to have KYBs on such a beauty. It at least needs Konis or Bilsteins with the adjustable rear spring perches. And as Mueller said, it needs lowering all the way around...bad.
Type 4 Unleashed

I can already see it coming.  I'll get the rear where I want it but the only way to get the front down will be to buy stiffer torsion bars.  And once it gets handling so well, I'll have to buy better tires.  Then the brakes will be the weak link...911 vented roters perhaps?  Of course that means a 5-lug conversion.  While I'm at it, I might as well go wide with the rims....uh oh, I think I hear rumors of flared fenders!  Now the cars looks like a rocket but it is still a stock 1.8 liter.  Perhaps a 6 conversion?  Yeah, thats it!

I quit.  

Do, you know what you forgot? Big Giant Expensive, Front and Rear Sway Bars. So it will handle with the 6 conversion happy11.gif OOH YEA, and the droped spindels happy11.gif

You do know how to lower the front end?
MoveQik
QUOTE (GWN7 @ May 12 2005, 09:00 PM)
Damn it all!  One thing always leads to another.  I finally get my car back on the road after two years of being torn apart.  My car sits just fine but I think "Maybe I'll stiffen up the rear a little since the front is handling so well with the new sway bar"  

Easy enough, just buy springs that are more firm.  But NOOoooOOOOooOOoooo.  Now I gotta get new shocks.  This is getting difficult to justify to my wife!  

I can already see it coming.  I'll get the rear where I want it but the only way to get the front down will be to buy stiffer torsion bars.  And once it gets handling so well, I'll have to buy better tires.  Then the brakes will be the weak link...911 vented roters perhaps?  Of course that means a 5-lug conversion.  While I'm at it, I might as well go wide with the rims....uh oh, I think I hear rumors of flared fenders!  Now the cars looks like a rocket but it is still a stock 1.8 liter.  Perhaps a 6 conversion?  Yeah, thats it!

I quit.  

Are you related to Dirk Wright perchance? biggrin.gif

Or so, if you wanted a car to just drive and not work on you would have bought a Kia. laugh.gif

Never heard of Dirk. Never complained about working on the car. Just making making fun of how one thing always leads to another....sorta like any project I start on my house. beerchug.gif
mightyohm
The most cost effective option by FAR is to get a pair of Bilstein's for the rear. They allow you to set the height in 1/2 or 1" increments (I forget) and will give you plenty of adjustment range. I was able to find them for $96 ea. (shox.com)

jgiroux67
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 12 2005, 09:39 PM)
The most cost effective option by FAR is to get a pair of Bilstein's for the rear. They allow you to set the height in 1/2 or 1" increments (I forget) and will give you plenty of adjustment range. I was able to find them for $96 ea. (shox.com)

I couldnt find anything for 914's on shox.com. What did you search under?
MoveQik
QUOTE (V6914 @ May 12 2005, 09:31 PM)

I quit.  

Do, you know what you forgot? Big Giant Expensive, Front and Rear Sway Bars. So it will handle with the 6 conversion happy11.gif OOH YEA, and the droped spindels happy11.gif

I think I have the front end under control. UNfortunately I think I have to pull the torsion bars out and turn them a little. They are adjusted pretty much all the way down where they are at.
MoveQik
QUOTE (anthony @ May 12 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 12 2005, 07:55 PM)

That's about the sequence of events! It's a shame though to have KYBs on such a beauty. It at least needs Konis or Bilsteins with the adjustable rear spring perches. And as Mueller said, it needs lowering all the way around...bad.

The KYB's were on it when I bought(5 years ago). I was hoping that the new springs would sit it down but oops, it went the wrong way!

The height thing is killing me as I am a huge fan of lowered vehicles. Sure the improved handling is nice but even if it didn't improve the handling, it just looks better.
MoveQik
QUOTE (Borderline @ May 12 2005, 09:03 PM)
What brand springs did you buy? I picked up some weltmeister 140# from ebay and finally got them installed and the rear is still taller than I would like. The springs have a change in pitch as the coils were wound. It appears that the top 3 coils (with the close spacing) go solid when the car is sitting on the ground. My belief is that those coils were placed there to keep the springs from hanging loose when the car is jacked up but do not efect the spring rate when the car is on the ground. If I'm correct...???? then one or two of those coils could be removed without changing the final spring rate. The ride height would be reduced by the diameter of the spring wire. The problem would then be that when you jack up the car the spring would rattle loose. If all the coils on the spring have the same spacing then this wouldn't work. any comments???? anyone?

Mine are Weltmeister as well. From day one I thought that cutting them seemed like the half-assed way of fixing the problem. Now after the feedback here I wouldn't dream of cutting them. I'll just get some better shocks.
mightyohm
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ May 12 2005, 10:00 PM)
The most cost effective option by FAR is to get a pair of Bilstein's for the rear.  They allow you to set the height in 1/2 or 1" increments (I forget) and will give you plenty of adjustment range.  I was able to find them for $96 ea.  (shox.com)

I couldnt find anything for 914's on shox.com. What did you search under?

Request a quote online or email them.
MoveQik
QUOTE (dlo914 @ May 12 2005, 09:11 PM)
the best and simplest method would be to purchase some adjustable shocks (bilsteins have 5 IIRC height settings). they're available on the forum's ecomm store for about $250. The same situation occured when i installed some 140lb weltmeister springs, and now the front and back sit level.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

By the way, thank you guys for all of the nice comments about the car. I look forward to attending the events going forward!
anthony
Are the Weltmeister springs progressive? It's really no big deal to cut a coil off the side where the coils are close together.

Cutting coils is another one of those things where people say that if you 'cut a coil you will die' but it's not true. You just have to do it with an air cut off tool or hacksaw and not heat up the coil (like with a torch).

Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 12 2005, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ May 12 2005, 09:31 PM)

I quit.  

I think I have the front end under control. UNfortunately I think I have to pull the torsion bars out and turn them a little. They are adjusted pretty much all the way down where they are at.

You don't have to take out the torsion bars, just take out the adjusting bolt, pop of the adjuster's, turn them the same amount of splines on each side, try a 1/4 " gap between the adjuster and the stop where the adjuster bolts adjust against( and this is with the car up on stands with the struts fully extended). Don't lower it all the way down, it will ride like a tank, an prematurely wear out your front end. You'll need some Bump steer shims, and you'll have to have the front end aligned.

When your lowering the front end, pick two same points one on each side of the car, use a yard stick, take measurements after each adjustment, but first drive the car after each adjustment, to get the car to settle after each adjustment, it's a pain and time consuming, but you don't want your front end higher or lower on either side.

As high as your front end sits, when you lower it, the back will drop a little bit.

This is how I do it, there may be a better way?
MoveQik

Are the shocks that you found the same ones advertised in the 914 club store?

The ones here are part # 005-001-0007. Are these the adjustable ones?
MoveQik
Thanks again for all of the advice. I bought and installed some Bilsteins today. I put the snap ring in the 3rd slot down. It looks much better. I'll drive it around for a while and see how I like it. It may need to go down one more notch. NOw I have the Bilsteins with the 140# Weltmeister springs. The back rides awesome. Now to the front! driving.gif

Check out my blog for new pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.