Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Install Question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grimstead
Well okay, here is my question. Is there a way to install the rear calipers without taking the inner adjustment cover screw off?
I just can't seem to get it past the lip of the access hole in the trailing arm.
Thanks!
confused24.gif
drew365
On my car I have to take the adjustment cover off. Be careful not to lose the adjusting gear that's sitting in there. I did. But since it's in my garage somewhere I guess it's not really lost, just misplaced.
mihai914
agree.gif

If it's the original allen head screw I believe you can take out the caliper w/o removing the thing. If it's a replacement bolt type then it has to come off, I wish they would of made those things a bit skynnier (sp?).

Mihai
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (mihai914 @ May 12 2005, 05:16 PM)
If it's the original allen head screw I believe you can take out the caliper w/o removing the thing. If it's a replacement bolt type then it has to come off, I wish they would of made those things a bit skinnier

I started using (and selling) steel hex socket plugs a few years ago, and it's the only way to go. You can pull the calipers without any problem. Also, you really don't need stainless (dab of antisieze) and they aren't $14 a pair!
double-a
agree.gif
definitely dump those oem soft aluminum adjuster covers, they're really hard to deal with. i got a pair of the bolt kind at pelican. makes caliper life a lot more fun.

~a
Eric_Shea
He has the new style (ask me how I know).

Bill, you may need to remove them to get the caliper on. Once it's on you adjust the inner piston and reinstall them through the adjuster hole.

Some of the shafts for the adjuster holes (on the trailing arm) stick out further than others. I've been able to slip them (calipers with the plug in) on with some cars and not with others.
Grimstead
Thanks folks,
Eric would know since he rebuilt all four of them. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
My next problem is cleaning up those trailing arms cause they're far to dirty for my new purdy wub.gif rebuilt calipers & new rotors.
Eric_Shea
Medic... Medic!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

"Yes? What is it?"

I'm not sure Doctor, but it looks like the early stages of DWD.

"Is the car on jackstands?"

Yes, but he says he's only doing the brakes.

"Is the engine still in the car?"

Yes, thank God but he's talking about "cleaning up" the suspension. It's got me a little concerned.

"It does look like early stages. You were right in calling me over. Looks like we got to him before it got totally stripped, soda blasted and sold off in parts. We better work fast."

What should we do?

"We'll start with the fractional distillation of petroleum. We'll need about 70 gallons to start. That should distill to around 12 gallons. We may be able to increase the dose by cracking:

alkane C13H28 (l) --> alkane C8H18 (l) + alkene C2H4 (g) + alkene C3H6 (g)

Once we get roughly 15 gallons we'll need to get it into his tank fast. If the tank is full he'll want to drive it until it's empty before he starts his dismantling process. If we can get him to actually "drive" the car we may be able to save him. Driving the car is the only known cure for DWD"

beerchug.gif
double-a
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

that's good! beware dwd, there is no cure once it sets in!

~a
Grimstead
I guess now wouldn't be a good time to tell you about the work I am doing on the floorpam since it's up on jacks anyway? smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Aaron Cox
bill. you going to be home arounf 11 or noon?

have a CPR recert class at 10 at the city hall, figured id drop by and see what your upto
SGB
dwd?
I thought it was WIITS (while I'm in...) syndrome. welder.gif smash.gif givemebeer.gif
Grimstead
bill. you going to be home arounf 11 or noon?

have a CPR recert class at 10 at the city hall, figured id drop by and see what your upto

Yep, I'll be here. How about lunch?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.