Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with the Mustang
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
gms
This was several years ago but I think it is fun to watch.
The video is from the inside of my friends Mustang (1965ish) I am in the 914/6 ahead of him. watch as I defend my lead through lap traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZcSrwrQfI
Rand
Love it. Especially the passes at the end. You can see his muscle could edge you on long straights, but you snuck right back past in the corner.
smilie_pokal.gif
gms
On the first pass attempt I thought he had me but then a little hole opened on the inside and gave it all she had, the last attempt I broke early so I could be on power as soon as he went by. We both had a great time that day.
jmz
Looks like fun driving. Personally I like running with the mustangs and big iron. ...just would prefer to run in something other than FIA but I'm happy to just run the car.
Cheers,
IronHillRestorations
That's fun to watch. Looks like you need valve guides smile.gif
gms
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 13 2017, 06:38 AM) *

Looks like you need valve guides smile.gif

Yes it does
brant
jmz,

you can build it with 81mm pistons... run as C production instead of FIA...
mlindner
Black Hawk Farms race track.....nice run, thanks for sharing. Best, Mark
jmz
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 13 2017, 04:35 PM) *

jmz,

you can build it with 81mm pistons... run as C production instead of FIA...

my local club bumps me into FIA with just a set of flares if the rules are enforced strictly. The car has a whole lot of history and has been a race car since it had about 30k miles so I'm just going to preserve it and run it. This was the car in the former days... I kind of like the green.

Click to view attachment
brant
jmz,

was the previous owner named Dave Ferguson?... an big time autox guy?
jmz
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 20 2017, 04:02 PM) *

jmz,

was the previous
owner named Dave Ferguson?... an big time autox guy?

Yes. This was Dave's car. I understand that it also held some records at Laguna Seca back in the day. I recently purchased it out of Canada. ...pretty trick little car.

Know anything about the car?
brant
QUOTE(jmz @ Jun 20 2017, 03:50 PM) *

jmz,

was the previous

Yes. This was Dave's car. I understand that it also held some records at Laguna Seca back in the day. I recently purchased it out of Canada. ...pretty trick little car.

Yep.
Not a ton
I used to know the car before it had the flares
It lived in boulder CO back then. It used to run 14inch 5bolt fuchs with cantilevered slicks. dave and Ellen were great folks. My very first ever set of dedicated track tires were free hand me downs that Dave gave me from that car
jmz
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 21 2017, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Jun 20 2017, 03:50 PM) *

jmz,

was the previous

Yep.
Not a ton
I used to know the car before it had the flares
It lived in boulder CO back then. It used to run 14inch 5bolt fuchs with cantilevered slicks. dave and Ellen were great folks. My very first ever set of dedicated track tires were free hand me downs that Dave gave me from that car

Thanks Brant. I'm always thankful when I can find any history on the car. I also spoke with Walt Fricke from your area about the car as he too remembered it. ...someone in CO I think has the original engine for this car so i ...or had it anyway. I wish Grady Clay was still around as he might have an idea where it went as I think he built the first race motor for the car. (if you ever catch wind of a 914/6 engine in your area for sale let me know)

I think the current engine with its unique build details was built by Peter Dawe for a doctor in the CO area and then Dave purchased it from him. It was most recently maintained and freshened up by a guru up in Canada by the name of Rudy Bartling. ...rumor has it that it has long rods from some Toyota race motor in it. It will be interesting when I finally have to have it torn down to verify that. ...probably just shared more info than anyone needed here.

Cheers,
Jay
groot
Dave's not gone.... Veracity Data

I have some of his 901 gearsets....
Blue6
Dave and Ellen are still very active in SCCA. Saw them at the runoffs last year at mid Ohio.
Justinp71

Super cool video. The motor in that mustang sounds angry. Interesting you guys were side by side the whole time. What size motor did you have in your 914 in that video?
gms
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 25 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Super cool video. The motor in that mustang sounds angry. Interesting you guys were side by side the whole time. What size motor did you have in your 914 in that video?

I had a 3.0L street motor but I could go faster thru the turns to keep speed up on the straightaway. The Mustang has 500-600HP but is totally vintage legal.
Justinp71
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 27 2017, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 25 2017, 01:49 PM) *

I had a 3.0L street motor but I could go faster thru the turns to keep speed up on the straightaway. The Mustang has 500-600HP but is totally vintage legal.

Wow, that is really interesting to me- to know my car is about as fast on a track as a 500hp old school mustang. Thanks for sharing!
Randal
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 12 2017, 09:32 AM) *

This was several years ago but I think it is fun to watch.
The video is from the inside of my friends Mustang (1965ish) I am in the 914/6 ahead of him. watch as I defend my lead through lap traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZcSrwrQfI

Cool video! What tires are you two running, i.e., slicks or period correct street tires?
Cracker
I would not jump to that conclusion...the track has everything to do with keeping these cars close. On a "big" tack, Glen would be left behind. Small tracks are notorious for diminishing the value of horsepower in exchange for handling. Nice driving Glen

T

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 28 2017, 05:56 PM) *

Wow, that is really interesting to me- to know my car is about as fast on a track as a 500hp old school mustang. Thanks for sharing!

gms
As Tony wrote, you can sometimes beat the big HP cars on a short track. If we were at Road America it would be a totally different story. I was running Toyo R888 tires not sure about the Mustang but they must be threaded tires to run in this class.
Randal
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 31 2017, 08:16 PM) *

As Tony wrote, you can sometimes beat the big HP cars on a short track. If we were at Road America it would be a totally different story. I was running Toyo R888 tires not sure about the Mustang but they must be threaded tires to run in this class.

Cornering speeds looked fast for threaded tires!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.