Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Pre-Construction Home "Investment" Program
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
A family friend has brought this to our attention...basicly it sounds like you buy a lot, the realtor finds a builder, house gets built, you sell the house and make $$$$

Investment Homes in Florida

Upon doing some searches, it seems this is only done in Florida???
914rrr
Kinda like a "hot" stock tip. By the time most people hear about it, it's already peaked and on the way down. I've been buying, rehabbing and selling single family homes for about 5 years and I'm still bullish on Florida real estate in general and people have made some really nice pre-construction profits, but mostly on waterfront condos. I do see the "specualtive" pre-construction market getting overheated. There are already new condo buildings in Tampa where 40% of the units are empty and the owners are speculators. It only takes a couple of investors "dumping" their units cheap to screw up the comps for the whole development.
Mueller
There are already new condo buildings in Tampa where 40% of the units are empty and the owners are speculators.

that has to hurt....I don't mind the investing, but there just seems something "odd" about this method, I guess I just never heard of it before....I like buying something already built, no big deal if I have to put some money into to fix it up to rent it out, but this pre-construction speculating does not appeal to me right now
kenporacer
I have friends that try this, mostly my builder friends do a variation where they stay in the house a year or so then sell to escape capitol gains, then build all over again.
Erik
Carl
It looks like a simple way for a developer to finance his project while someone else takes the risk on the land and the developer doesn't have to comply with loan covenants of a regulated financing company, i.e., a bank. I'd sure be careful of the financial strength of the developer and know for certain what was going to be built on the lot and the surrounding property.

Also, Mike, with the problems you've had with your Louisiana investment, why are you thinking of Florida? There is huge value in investing locally so you can watch what's going on.
JerryP
Pre-construction can be a legit investment if, just like anything else, you really study the market and know exactly what you are doing.

On the other hand....

If you knew a concrete way to make big money in the real estate market, would you just do it until you had all the money you wanted...or would you jump through hoops to set up a company whose sole function is to help everyone else do it?

Anyone remember Dave Deldado? Still in jail I think.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Carl @ May 12 2005, 06:45 PM)
It looks like a simple way for a developer to finance his project while someone else takes the risk on the land and the developer doesn't have to comply with loan covenants of a regulated financing company, i.e., a bank. I'd sure be careful of the financial strength of the developer and know for certain what was going to be built on the lot and the surrounding property.

Also, Mike, with the problems you've had with your Louisiana investment, why are you thinking of Florida? There is huge value in investing locally so you can watch what's going on.

agree.gif with Carl, there are closer opportunities avoiding travelling so far if something needs attention. Central Valley has some developments according to my Realtor friends. His home isn't even built yet and values have risen. Rise enough and they may even sell instead of moving in. I've heard AZ areas will be the next boom like Las Vegas. My parents and a friend of mine made out nicely from their Las Vegas homes. Wish I listened to them AND got the money to invest... wacko.gif
airsix
QUOTE (kenporacer @ May 12 2005, 06:34 PM)
I have friends that try this, mostly my builder friends do a variation where they stay in the house a year or so then sell to escape capitol gains, then build all over again.
Erik

24 months as your primary residence to be exact.

-Ben M.
azbill
Arizona is booming. There is indicators that the blooms are falling off in some areas. The raw land in the far west side of Phoenix is nuts. Buy one day sell the next for double digit gains.

I am a certified general appraiser and broker. I am using the first sale as a comp and avoiding the latter sales. It is getting squarrely. There could be a change in the market in the very near term. Be very careful when investing in this market.
spunone
HEH AZBILL heard anything about Meadview??AZ
azbill
Not realy - I have heard that it over looks Lake Mead. Don't know if there is lake access but the hilltop views are said to great. I don't know anything about the market, prices or values. If it is like most areas of Az it is going up most likely because of Lost Wages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.