Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "71" -6 for sale on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
v82go

Neat old 1971 -6 for sale on BAT

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-2/
Mueller
That car sounds great! So wish I had money....

I'd rather have this than a perfect numbers matching /6, I wouldn't feel so guilty taking it out and flogging it!
LowBridge
I know the owner personally and it is fast as hell...
Coloradocurt
One thing which makes engines such as this one seem a whole lot quicker than the 2.7 to 3.2 engines with CIS or Mortonic FI, is that much like triple-throat carbs, accelerator fuel circuits squirt raw fuel right down the throats when you get on the gas! But after that the torque advantage of more displacement starts to become more evident.
914Sixer
Looks like a REAL HONEST sale!!! biggrin.gif
LowBridge
he'll answer any question you have with a completely honest answer without worrying about if it will help or hurt his sale...

think about it.. same owner from 1984..
mepstein
QUOTE(Coloradocurt @ Jun 12 2017, 04:06 PM) *

One thing which makes engines such as this one seem a whole lot quicker than the 2.7 to 3.2 engines with CIS or Mortonic FI, is that much like triple-throat carbs, accelerator fuel circuits squirt raw fuel right down the throats when you get on the gas! But after that the torque advantage of more displacement starts to become more evident.

Yes, MFI does make an engine sing. Plus, it lets you go inverted. biggrin.gif
rgalla9146

The COA indicates it has 'cruse control' the rarest option of all.
No mention of steel or glass fenders. but has bubbling.
RS engine !....except for block sad.gif
Still plenty o'fun
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 12 2017, 05:40 PM) *

No mention of steel or glass fenders.

Seller answered that question on BaT, stated that they are steel.
banananose914
Although this 6 may need some help, it's still a 6, and it's a 71 at that.
Blue6
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 12 2017, 09:28 PM) *

Although this 6 may need some help, it's still a 6, and it's a 71 at that.

I'm waiting for a '72... KMA.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(Coloradocurt @ Jun 12 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Ya, on my PMO carb'd motor over 3.5k you get an instant whap of power with a touch of the loud pedal... biggrin.gif . Not sure how it compares to MFI though.
Justinp71
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 12 2017, 03:40 PM) *

Still plenty o'fun

I'd be most concerned if there is deep chassis rust. If not, I think $10k would be enough to take care of the body rust and give it nice shiny paint. I agree with others here, its a perfect 'track' paint job smile.gif.
bandjoey
The original 5-speed transaxle has been fitted with short gears and a torque-sensing differential, though shifting can be difficult at times due to play in the case according to the seller.

If it sells in the low numbers, then it's a good project for someone. $25k right now.
PlaysWithCars
So, what's the story on the vents in the rocker panels? Looks like there are some in the rear valence as well? Trying to evacuate heat? Would that be counterproductive to have low pressure under the engine to draw cool air across the cylinders?
SirAndy
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jun 13 2017, 01:42 PM) *
Would that be counterproductive to have low pressure under the engine to draw cool air across the cylinders?

Au contraire, low pressure would help getting more air over the cylinders ...
shades.gif
PlaysWithCars
Agreeded. But are vents on the side creating low pressure? I'd assume high pressure. Certainly the ones in the back should be generating low-pressure
banananose914
Well, well, well. If it ain't old Dave again. What you should do, is go to Helen Waite. See if she has a 77.
speedy914
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jun 13 2017, 07:10 PM) *

Agreeded. But are vents on the side creating low pressure? I'd assume high pressure. Certainly the ones in the back should be generating low-pressure

Not sure if air pressure was thought about in the 70's. All those "ducts"? were done in Germany before I bought the car. The rear is cut open behind the bumper, then cutouts in the bumper with metal screen to evacuate hot air (presumably)?
The cutout in the pass side rocker is because there is a trans (tube type) cooler up in the fender so he did that to get air up there. Cutout on the left is just to match. Trans cooler story is a long one, previous owner claims Porsche based the first racing trans cooler setup on the 915 in 72 off this car! All I know it that it all worked for long time... driving.gif
speedy914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 12 2017, 06:40 PM) *

Still plenty o'fun

I guess it should say "RS spec engine"
I thought what? when I saw "cruise control"? on the COA, it's the hand throttle! lol
Didn't all -6's have a hand throttle?
Dave_Darling
All Sixes had the hand throttle.

The "cruise control" is likely an error in the CoA. They are known to be less than perfect with 914s.

--DD
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(speedy914 @ Jun 13 2017, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jun 13 2017, 07:10 PM) *

Trans cooler story is a long one, previous owner claims Porsche based the first racing trans cooler setup on the 915 in 72 off this car! All I know it that it all worked for long time... driving.gif

Lots of cool stories tied to this car. Would be a fun one to own and play with while bringing it back to its former glory.

I already have one with its own set of "opportunities". I read with interest that this car had "cruse control". At first I thought it said "CURSE control". I need that with mine as as I'm sure its haunted the way everything keeps going wrong.

I wish your friend good luck with the sale.
rgalla9146
What a combination of very good and.....used ?.....not disguised ? rough and ready ?
Many precious parts included.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 13 2017, 07:53 PM) *

Well, well, well. If it ain't old Dave again. What you should do, is go to Helen Waite. See if she has a 77.

??? confused24.gif
Blue6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 14 2017, 07:22 AM) *

??? confused24.gif

confused24.gif might be off of his meds... biggrin.gif
Coloradocurt
From my perspective, a great candidate to do a full disassembly, rotisserie strip to bare metal, repair any rust (the first 13 years were in Germany), weld in the available structural supports advised when you double the power, quality repaint, and then you put it all back together with a few choice upgrades (like a later side shit tranny conversion and an aftermarket shifter). After that, possibly a $60K car.
banananose914
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jun 14 2017, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 14 2017, 07:22 AM) *

??? confused24.gif

confused24.gif might be off of his meds... biggrin.gif

Dave?! Is that you Dave?
Coloradocurt
Interesting result, seller's expectations and bidders' comments.
EdwardBlume
Man I love this car. Its exactly what a guy like me wants - a racer with a history. GLWTS.
JmuRiz
Cool car, with lots of cool bits on it...but all that rust scares me. It'd have to get sent to Scotty's and get worked on the next 2 years before I felt comfy driving it.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 17 2017, 03:31 PM) *

Dave?! Is that you Dave?

Dave's not here, man!!!

--DD
Mikey914
I was watching this one too. When it went over $24 I was out. Sure it will be worth money in restored shape, but you can easily drop $40k , and at that point you have better options that will not require as much risk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.