Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you have under your front trunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matty900
I need a little help in getting this figured out. My car had the bumpers in these holes but some have a drain tube. The PET shows the same part number in 2 applications. One to stop the upward travel on the engine deck lid and the other in this location. I have yet to find where the drain tubes are in the PET. Is there possibly a variation in years?
Matty900
My car is a 72 1.7 and had this part
mepstein
They look like the drain tube holes to me. 914rubber makes the rubber drain tube. smilie_pokal.gif
Matty900
Some cars have this part (or what is left of it). I am trying to figure out what cars had what part.
Matty900
I can see the drain tube as an upgrade to allow air in the sealed trunk without letting moisture in but when was that change made?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 12 2017, 04:30 PM) *

They look like the drain tube holes to me. 914rubber makes the rubber drain tube. smilie_pokal.gif

Mark,
Meet Matt Whitesell, Mark's brother. He kind of Is 914Rubber. evilgrin.gif
bbrock
My 73 has the bumper plugs.
JmuRiz
My '73 has bumpers too
Jamie
My early 73 has the drain tubes, thanks to 914rubber. The originals were a bit hard and broke off when I tried to change them out.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 12 2017, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 12 2017, 04:30 PM) *

Mark,
Meet Matt Whitesell, Mark's brother. He kind of Is 914Rubber. evilgrin.gif

LOL! I wasn't looking at the poster. Yes, met Matt at Hershey.
I've only had drain tubes on my '71's. I think my '74 has plugs.
bbrock
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 12 2017, 02:22 PM) *

My early 73 has the drain tubes, thanks to 914rubber. The originals were a bit hard and broke off when I tried to change them out.

Don't mean to hijack, but what color are your threshold plates? My chassis date is April 9, 1973 and has the black plastic plates. Just wondering if the switch from drains to plugs was around the same time as the threshold switch.
Matty900
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 12 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Don't mean to hijack, but what color are your threshold plates? My chassis date is April 9, 1973 and has the black plastic plates. Just wondering if the switch from drains to plugs was around the same time as the threshold switch.

We have the Black and "Chrome" versions. They are both anodized aluminum.
Lots of parts were changed at what seems like the random times. In the parts catalog, there will often be a vin number showing when they made a change but I am finding that it is not always reliable. For this part, the change in vin was 47329 18919
The thresholds went to the black plastic ones in later years as Porsche was under pressure to keep prices down while having to add more to meet regulations like bumpers and emissions.
Garland
Early 72 plugs.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jun 12 2017, 03:30 PM) *

My car is a 72 1.7 and had this part

The two circled holes are for bumpers. They act to keep the valence from rubbing on the pan.
They are also used to limit the upward engine lid travel.
Illustrated part#13 has a threaded feature to permit adjustment of the height of the engine lid and the front lid when closed.
The drain nipple goes into the center hole at the rear of the trunk floor.
Larmo63
I've had three '73s and I've never been able to figure out where those drain things go.

Anybody have a pic of one installed correctly?
Tom_T
These are the bumper/buffer to prevent slamming of the lids, as shown in your pix of the PET for them -

IPB Image

These are the drain tubes for the front trunk floor, which I don't know if Porsche still has them (same part as the 911/912 headlight bucket drain tube, so they may still have them), & 914Rubber/Mikey914 also makes some good repros too -

IPB Image

Here is a link to the 914Rubber Repro one FYI - there were supposed to be 2 in every 914-6/914-4 AFAIK, & they go in the 2 trunk floor holes fore [Edit] behind & further aft of the spare tire tie-down's captive nut (see the 2 yellow circles in the pic below).

Click to view attachment

http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...cation-91DT.htm

IPB Image

I don't have the 914 PET part number handy, since they tend to drop out parts from the PET as they go NLA. In the 911 headlight bucket drain tube application, it is p/n: 911.631.259.02 - probably the same p/n in the 914 or else a PCG p/n.

beerchug.gif

Tom
///////
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 12 2017, 12:48 PM) *

My Feb. 1973 has polished aluminum plates.
raynekat
QUOTE(Garland @ Jun 12 2017, 02:30 PM) *

Early 72 plugs.

Click to view attachment

Just like my 1971 914-4.
flmont
what color red is that ?? Thanks
Matty900
QUOTE(flmont @ Jun 12 2017, 08:49 PM) *

what color red is that ?? Thanks

Bahia Red, with odd lighting and a flash from the cell phone camera
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.