Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Nixie Clock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I was wondering if anybody had any nixie tubes
TonyAKAVW
Yes! I have a few that I am planning on using in a Nixie clock. I was thinking a nixie clock would be cool to put in a 914...

Anyway, I don't have any spares, but Ebay is a good place to look.

That reminds me that I need to order a few caps for the high voltage power supply i'm putting together for my nixie clock project.

-Tony
bd1308
i have a clock, but i need some IN-14 tubes to have as spares....gotta grab them while they last, ya know? a nixie clock would be kinda wierd in a 914 IMHO.....just build a clock wink.gif
BIGKAT_83
What in the world do you need those for? I may be able to find some from some old eq.
These are about 2" high is that what your looking for?

Bob
ChrisReale
search here, Im too lazy to do it http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/
Bleyseng
for the guys like me that said "Huh"?

HISTORY OF THE NIXIE TUBE
Nixie tubes were originally developed in 1952 by the Haydu brothers for the Burroughs Corporation as the precursor to the computer monitor. The name "Numerical Indicator experimental: NIX-i" was first a working acronym belonging to the Burroughs company but became the common name for these readouts. From the early 1950's to the 1970's Nixie tubes were the dominant display service. Later they were supplanted by LED displays and are quite rare today! They found their way into everything from test equipment over early computers to aerospace and submarines or the display of the New York stock exchange. While LED's are technically more advanced, their aesthetics leave something to be desired. A Nixie's digits consist of ten thin metal electrodes that are individually formed and can easily incorporate uneven curves and skew lines. The only technical flaw is based on the fact that the digits are stacked in front of each other; this causes tiny gaps where they are shadowed by the digits in front of it. Ironically, they were hardly used as clock displays. Over recent years their popularity has increased dramatically due to their unusual appearance and historical value. In essence they are like miniature neon signs with a warm, comforting orange/violet glow. Nixie clocks have become very popular as a way to bring these devices 'out of the dark'.

HOW THE NIXIE TUBE WORKS
Each glass tube typically contains 10 or more individual cathode wires in the shape of numbers or letters. The cathodes are stacked so that different numerals appear at different depths, unlike a planar display in which all numerals are on the same plane relative to the viewer. The anode is a transparent metal mesh wrapped around the front of the display. The tube is filled with the inert gas neon (and other gases) with a small amount of mercury. When an electric potential of 120 to 180 volts DC is applied between the anode and any cathode, the gas near the cathode breaks down and the digit spreads it's wonderfull glow.
redshift
Those things don't work in my amps, I guess.

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (redshift @ May 12 2005, 09:56 PM)
Those things don't work in my amps, I guess.

nope. if you can turn them up to '11' you're just hosed...
bd1308
i have video of my nixie clock running somewhere on my server
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.